David Hooton

Pain free spam & virus protection by: www.mailsecurity.net.au
Forward undetected SPAM to: spam@mailsecurity.net.au
RE: 419 Mania [ In reply to ]
> Is it just me or has the last day or so been 419 mania? I
> have seen so much Nigerian garbage that I'm going crazy
> trying to cut rules to block them all!
>
> Bayes training doesn't seem to help much if at all, so it
> looks like I'm resorting to either having to write my own or
> beg for help from you guys!!
>
> Has anyone got any killer 419 rules? I'm beginning to write
> some very large meta rulesets which I'm sure will help, but
> gee these just keep coming!
>
> Does anyone have a big 419 corpus?
>
> Any and all help greatly appreciated - I think I can feel a
> Chris Santerre style Nigerian ruleset coming...

Tons of Nigerian garbage, but not a single one made it to my inbox, and
none of my users has complained of it. I seem to get adequate coverage
here with SA 2.63's base set. For example, the one I checked scored over
19 with the following:

BAYES_99=6,FORGED_JUNO_RCVD=2.058,J_CHICKENPOX_31=0.6,
J_CHICKENPOX_72=0.6,J_CHICKENPOX_84=0.6,J_CHICKENPOX_91=0.6,
NIGERIAN_BODY1=2.018,NIGERIAN_BODY2=0.7,NIGERIAN_BODY3=0.738,
NIGERIAN_BODY4=0.701,NIGERIAN_SUBJECT1=2.599,NO_REAL_NAME=0.16,
OPPORTUNITY=2.055,UPPERCASE_75_100=0
RE: 419 Mania [ In reply to ]
>> Is it just me or has the last day or so been 419 mania? I
>> have seen so much Nigerian garbage that I'm going crazy
>> trying to cut rules to block them all!
>>
>> Bayes training doesn't seem to help much if at all, so it
>> looks like I'm resorting to either having to write my own or
>> beg for help from you guys!!
>>
>> Has anyone got any killer 419 rules? I'm beginning to write
>> some very large meta rulesets which I'm sure will help, but
>> gee these just keep coming!
>>
>> Does anyone have a big 419 corpus?
>>
>> Any and all help greatly appreciated - I think I can feel a
>> Chris Santerre style Nigerian ruleset coming...
>
> Tons of Nigerian garbage, but not a single one made it to my inbox, and
> none of my users has complained of it. I seem to get adequate coverage
> here with SA 2.63's base set. For example, the one I checked scored over
> 19 with the following:
>
> BAYES_99=6,FORGED_JUNO_RCVD=2.058,J_CHICKENPOX_31=0.6,
> J_CHICKENPOX_72=0.6,J_CHICKENPOX_84=0.6,J_CHICKENPOX_91=0.6,
> NIGERIAN_BODY1=2.018,NIGERIAN_BODY2=0.7,NIGERIAN_BODY3=0.738,
> NIGERIAN_BODY4=0.701,NIGERIAN_SUBJECT1=2.599,NO_REAL_NAME=0.16,
> OPPORTUNITY=2.055,UPPERCASE_75_100=0

Err, unless I'm mistaken, the base install of SA doesn't have any rules
like J_CHICKENPOX_72 ;-)

Also the default score for BAYES_99 is only 5.4, so you have a
significantly tweaked system.

I for one still see occasional 419 spams getting through, but not enough
to annoy me....

Regards,
Simon
RE: 419 Mania [ In reply to ]
> > Tons of Nigerian garbage, but not a single one made it to my inbox,
> > and none of my users has complained of it. I seem to get adequate
> > coverage here with SA 2.63's base set. For example, the one
> I checked
> > scored over 19 with the following:
> >
> > BAYES_99=6,FORGED_JUNO_RCVD=2.058,J_CHICKENPOX_31=0.6,
> > J_CHICKENPOX_72=0.6,J_CHICKENPOX_84=0.6,J_CHICKENPOX_91=0.6,
> > NIGERIAN_BODY1=2.018,NIGERIAN_BODY2=0.7,NIGERIAN_BODY3=0.738,
> > NIGERIAN_BODY4=0.701,NIGERIAN_SUBJECT1=2.599,NO_REAL_NAME=0.16,
> > OPPORTUNITY=2.055,UPPERCASE_75_100=0
>
> Err, unless I'm mistaken, the base install of SA doesn't have
> any rules like J_CHICKENPOX_72 ;-)

This is true.

> Also the default score for BAYES_99 is only 5.4, so you have
> a significantly tweaked system.

Of course, I do. Don't most? However, I stop spam scored at 8 or higher,
so I had to tweak some things. If you use the default install, it gets
flagged spam at 5, which means a simple bayes_99 is enough to make it
spam. Combine that with Nigerian_body1, subject1 and opportunity and
you're way high on the score, tweaked or not.

I'm not saying it'll stop all of them, but it should get a decent
percentage.

Bret
> > > Tons of Nigerian garbage, but not a single one made it to
> my inbox,
> > > and none of my users has complained of it. I seem to get adequate
> > > coverage here with SA 2.63's base set. For example, the one
> > I checked
> > > scored over 19 with the following:
> > >
> > > BAYES_99=6,FORGED_JUNO_RCVD=2.058,J_CHICKENPOX_31=0.6,
> > > J_CHICKENPOX_72=0.6,J_CHICKENPOX_84=0.6,J_CHICKENPOX_91=0.6,
> > > NIGERIAN_BODY1=2.018,NIGERIAN_BODY2=0.7,NIGERIAN_BODY3=0.738,
> > > NIGERIAN_BODY4=0.701,NIGERIAN_SUBJECT1=2.599,NO_REAL_NAME=0.16,
> > > OPPORTUNITY=2.055,UPPERCASE_75_100=0
> >
> > Err, unless I'm mistaken, the base install of SA doesn't have
> > any rules like J_CHICKENPOX_72 ;-)
>
> This is true.
>
> > Also the default score for BAYES_99 is only 5.4, so you have
> > a significantly tweaked system.
>
> Of course, I do. Don't most? However, I stop spam scored at 8
> or higher,
> so I had to tweak some things. If you use the default install, it gets
> flagged spam at 5, which means a simple bayes_99 is enough to make it
> spam. Combine that with Nigerian_body1, subject1 and opportunity and
> you're way high on the score, tweaked or not.
>
> I'm not saying it'll stop all of them, but it should get a decent
> percentage.
>
> Bret

I haven't had a 419 slip thru in AGES!!! I'll be working on a 419.cf file
this weekend. :)

--Chris