they often are in different domains, but if I do a whois they are
typically all registered to the same person...

Jason
RE: Whois Rule [ In reply to ]
Jason Granat Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 5:26 PM

> Is there a way to check an incoming email for any links, then do a whois
> search against those links, compare that to a local database and flag as
> spam?

That would be neat. And certainly possible. However, I'm wondering if this
would violate the TOS of the WHOIS servers? Typically they dictate that
one's not allowed to access them with automated computer systems.

Not that it has stopped me before, but...

cheers,
Colin

Colin A. Bartlett
Kinetic Web Solutions
www.kineticweb.biz
Re: Whois Rule [ In reply to ]
"Colin A. Bartlett" <spamassassin@colinabartlett.com> writes:

> That would be neat. And certainly possible. However, I'm wondering if this
> would violate the TOS of the WHOIS servers? Typically they dictate that
> one's not allowed to access them with automated computer systems.
>
> Not that it has stopped me before, but...

Use SenderBase. It contains this information and has both DNS and web
interfaces.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan anti-spam (SpamAssassin), Linux,
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/ and open source consulting