Bowes Publishers Limited
(519) 471-8320 x248
Mon-Fri 10:00AM-6:00PM
Re: How do I use RBL with SA?....grrrrr [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Michael Dengler wrote:
> My question is: If SA is doing RBL checks, How can I tell? And what
> RBL's is it using? Spamcop? Some other one?....

Feed a sample email to spamassassin with the debug flag on, and it'll
list everything it's checking, or why it isn't. You may find that you need
another perl package, the DNS package from CPAN.

Regards,
Mojo
--
Morris Jones <*>
Monrovia, CA
Re: How do I use RBL with SA?....grrrrr [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

>I see that RBL checks can be used within SA by (default apparently).
>
>I am using SA with amavisd-new and have NOT disabled RBL in local.cf, so I
>assume it should be doing RBL checks. But, alas, it is not.

Did you check the INSTALL file where it says that the Net::DNS perl module
has to be installed for RBL checks (or indeed any DNS checks) to work ? Do
you have it installed ?

>My question is: If SA is doing RBL checks, How can I tell? And what RBL's
>is it using? Spamcop? Some other one?....

Have a look at the README file under the section "Commercial Tests", it
gives an example of running SA in debugging mode which will show if RBL
checks are being processed or not.

Regards,
Simon
Re: How do I use RBL with SA?....grrrrr [ In reply to ]
At 03:25 PM 2/4/2004, Michael Dengler wrote:
>I see that RBL checks can be used within SA by (default apparently).
>
>I am using SA with amavisd-new and have NOT disabled RBL in local.cf, so I
>assume it should be doing RBL checks. But, alas, it is not.

you MUST have Net::DNS installed for RBL checks to work in SA. Without
this, SA will not be able to do RBL lookups, but will function otherwise.

>My question is: If SA is doing RBL checks, How can I tell?

You should be getting RCVD_IN_* rule matches when SA hits an RBL.. they hit
often enough it shouldn't be hard to find one.

> And what RBL's is it using? Spamcop? Some other one?....

Lots of them. The major ones used by default in 2.63 are Spamcop, OPM,
NJABL, SBL, SORBS, DSBL, RFCI. It also has built-in support for MAPS, but
they are disabled by default as MAPS is a for-pay service.
Re: How do I use RBL with SA?....grrrrr [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Thanks for the help! I did not have Net::DNS installed....but I do now!

One more question:

SA is called by amavisd-new. I set the sa_debug parameter to TRUE in
amavisd.conf. so where do SA debug messages get logged to?

Thanks

Mike

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 15:49, Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 03:25 PM 2/4/2004, Michael Dengler wrote:
> >I see that RBL checks can be used within SA by (default apparently).
> >
> >I am using SA with amavisd-new and have NOT disabled RBL in local.cf, so I
> >assume it should be doing RBL checks. But, alas, it is not.
>
> you MUST have Net::DNS installed for RBL checks to work in SA. Without
> this, SA will not be able to do RBL lookups, but will function otherwise.
>

> >My question is: If SA is doing RBL checks, How can I tell?
>
> You should be getting RCVD_IN_* rule matches when SA hits an RBL.. they hit
> often enough it shouldn't be hard to find one.
>

> > And what RBL's is it using? Spamcop? Some other one?....
>
> Lots of them. The major ones used by default in 2.63 are Spamcop, OPM,
> NJABL, SBL, SORBS, DSBL, RFCI. It also has built-in support for MAPS, but
> they are disabled by default as MAPS is a for-pay service.

--
Michael Dengler
Programmer/Analyst
Bowes Publishers Limited