Mailing List Archive

spamassassin sometimes suddenly ends scanning
Hi!

I had this occasionally with 3.4.x and now on 4.x-trunk as well...

If I start spamassassin on commandline to check certain EML files with
spamassassin -D <bla.eml
it sometimes runs through to the point were it handles the DNS replies.

And then suddenly ends in
> Nov 29 12:48:32.283 [828333] dbg: dns: dns reply to 25959/IN/A/.......: NXDOMAIN
> Nov 29 12:48:32.283 [828333] dbg: async: calling callback on key A/....., rules: URIBL_.....
> Nov 29 12:48:32.283 [828333] dbg: uridnsbl: complete_dnsbl_lookup A/..... URIBL_.....
> Nov 29 12:48:32.283 [828333] dbg: async: calling callback on key A/....., rules: URIBL_....
> Nov 29 12:48:32.283 [828333] dbg: uridnsbl: complete_dnsbl_lookup A/...... URIBL_.....
> autolearn=unavailable version=4.0.0-r1904221
... and the rest of the email.

It doesn't finish any other rules and doesn't display final results at all.

And then I start it simply again and everything is fine.

Has anybody else seen this odd behavior?

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha@gmx.net> | https://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria
Re: spamassassin sometimes suddenly ends scanning [ In reply to ]
Wolfgang Breyha <sausers@blafasel.at> writes:

> It doesn't finish any other rules and doesn't display final results at all.
>
> And then I start it simply again and everything is fine.
>
> Has anybody else seen this odd behavior?

I see occasional coredumps (as in perl.core). It is often enough to be
annoying (beyond worrisome that it happens at all), but not reproducible
and no apparent pattern.
Re: spamassassin sometimes suddenly ends scanning [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 07:34:51AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Wolfgang Breyha <sausers@blafasel.at> writes:
>
> > It doesn't finish any other rules and doesn't display final results at all.
> >
> > And then I start it simply again and everything is fine.
> >
> > Has anybody else seen this odd behavior?
>
> I see occasional coredumps (as in perl.core). It is often enough to be
> annoying (beyond worrisome that it happens at all), but not reproducible
> and no apparent pattern.

Try memtester/memtest86, atleast if it's not a proper server with ECC
memory..

And if you have core dumps, running gdb would be helpful:

$ gdb /usr/bin/perl /path/to/core
(gdb) backtrace
Re: spamassassin sometimes suddenly ends scanning [ In reply to ]
Henrik's ideas are very good. I would also question the hardware too. KAM

Re: spamassassin sometimes suddenly ends scanning [ In reply to ]
> It doesn't finish any other rules and doesn't display final results at all.
>
> And then I start it simply again and everything is fine.
>
> Has anybody else seen this odd behavior?

I've seen it a few times when running in a VM that didn't have enough
memory available. The clue for me was looking in dmesg and seeing
messages from the OOM-killer saying it was terminating spamd.

I don't know why it would often work on subsequent runs, but allocating
more memory to the VM seemed to make the problem go away.

Cheers,
Adam.
Re: spamassassin sometimes suddenly ends scanning [ In reply to ]
Henrik K <hege@hege.li> writes:

>> I see occasional coredumps (as in perl.core). It is often enough to be
>> annoying (beyond worrisome that it happens at all), but not reproducible
>> and no apparent pattern.
>
> Try memtester/memtest86, atleast if it's not a proper server with ECC
> memory..

I am pretty sure the hardware is OK, but I can't really run memtest86 as
it is a VPS. Spamassassin has trouble often, and the machine does a
lot of other things, and they are all trouble-free. The logs do not
show a single core dump from anything else.

> And if you have core dumps, running gdb would be helpful:
>
> $ gdb /usr/bin/perl /path/to/core
> (gdb) backtrace

Yes, and I should rebuild it all with -g.

But it sounds like others are not seeing this, which is a useful
datapoint.
Re: spamassassin sometimes suddenly ends scanning [ In reply to ]
Is it very very common to find VPSs running on PC Motherboards, not server Mobos... so no ECC
It is also very common in VPSs  to overclock RAM, so stability is not its main virtue..
Ask them Greg, and demand details and proofs of real hw being used.
Pedro.

Re: spamassassin sometimes suddenly ends scanning [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 09:40:14AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I am pretty sure the hardware is OK, but I can't really run memtest86 as
> it is a VPS.

Memtester is userland, should be on most distributions: apt install memtester

You can give it parameter of how much memory you have free, and it'll
allocate and test that.