Mailing List Archive

Website "help" spams
I am getting deluged with emails coming from semi-legitimate looking
sources offering to "improve" my website, which is hosted with the
same domain name as my email address (example below). Does anybody
have a rule that helps to increase the spam score of these, or any
other tips? My email address isn't on the website. The message below
got a score of 4.6 (5 required to be marked as spam).

Thanks in advance

Message:

Hello,

I was going through your website. I must say it's neatly done and
designed. However, I see that it's not ranking well on Google as it
should have been for its keywords.

I was wondering if you would like that, I mean if you like your
keywords to be ranked on the 1st page so you can have- Increased
searches + More Clients + More Sales/Business.

We are a completely digital company working with the right SEO
practices in place and as per Google guidelines. We will promote your
website on a global platform and will bring you the desired result.

Let me know if you are interested then I can send you our company
profile and I can share more details on the packages/action.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikita Bee– SEO Manager

Note: If you are not interested, please email the subject line “not
interested†and I will be happy to update my contact list.
Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
Are you running the KAM ruleset? There are some seo rules in there.

Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021, Robert S wrote:

> I am getting deluged with emails coming from semi-legitimate looking
> sources offering to "improve" my website, which is hosted with the
> same domain name as my email address (example below). Does anybody
> have a rule that helps to increase the spam score of these, or any
> other tips? My email address isn't on the website. The message below
> got a score of 4.6 (5 required to be marked as spam).

> Thanks & Regards,
> Nikita Bee– SEO Manager

"SEO Manager" seems a good indicator.

body SEO_SOMETHING /\bSEO (?:[Mm]anager|[Aa]dvisor|[Cc]onsultant)/

Intentionally *not* case-insensitive.

jhardin@impsec.org pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
Britain used to be the most powerful empire in the world.
Now they're terrified of pocketknives.
How the mighty have fallen. -- Matt Walsh
7 days until the 286th anniversary of John Peter Zenger's acquittal
Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
body NOT_INTERESTED =~ /“[Nn]ot\S{1,5}[Ii]nterested\.?â€/

Might also be an interesting test. I assume the gibberish on the front and
back is quotes in some character set or another, but they seem a little
unlikely in a real mail.

Loren

---
https://www.avg.com
Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
These emails are often also about translation help, or offering to
publish an article on your site.

I do run the KAM ruleset, but they do not hit on these. Happy to provide
some samples in some way that wouldn't get caught :D

Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
On 2021-07-29 03:16, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> Are you running the KAM ruleset? There are some seo rules in there.

is KAMOnly.pm plugin needed ?, atleast its should be documented, i have
that plugin installed now, it makes huge diffrent, i am just asking,
hopefully i helps others
Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
The KAMOnly plugin is not needed. It activates rules for our
infrastructure.
--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation

Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
On 2021-07-29 21:37, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> The KAMOnly plugin is not needed. It activates rules for our
> infrastructure.

i like the infrastructure then
Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
Lol and Thanks :-) The key thing you are seeing I would guess is our RBL.
We took it out of the public rules because a big player added it to their
systems and we couldn't handle lookups from a few bazillion boxes. Linode
donated us two boxes so it's on the roadmap to open it back up to the
public.

However, You should really install the rules with the channel ruleset too:
https://mcgrail.com/template/kam.cf_channel

Regards,
KAM

Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
So far so good. 16 messages marked as spam over the last 12hr and one
got through. Can I send the one that got through to somebody
anonymously?

Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
On 2021-07-29 23:04, Robert S wrote:
> So far so good. 16 messages marked as spam over the last 12hr and one
> got through. Can I send the one that got through to somebody
> anonymously?

no, this maillist helps stop spam, not spreding it, if you want to share
wait for pmc members of willness to have a copy , most will say thank
you, but dont share else, that sayed, you could share spamassassin -t
msg results to get more help on create local rules to catch it
Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 16:41:56 +0200
Benny Pedersen wrote:

> On 2021-07-29 03:16, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> > Are you running the KAM ruleset? There are some seo rules in
> > there.
>
> is KAMOnly.pm plugin needed ?, atleast its should be documented, i
> have that plugin installed now, it makes huge diffrent,

How did you get it? Or is it just a dummy plugin?
Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]

https://www.pccc.com/downloads/SpamAssassin/contrib/
Re: Website "help" spams [ In reply to ]
I'd prefer that information not be shared.  It's not for public use.