Is there any way, based on its fqdn, to know whether an Amazon smtp host is public or dedicated?

Thanks!
Pedreter.
Re: Identifying Amazon hosts... [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 28 July 2021 at 19:51:49, Pedro David Marco wrote:

> Hi!
> i have spam with this header:

> a48-115.smtp-out.amazonses.com) (54.240.48.115)
>
> Is there any way, based on its fqdn, to know whether an Amazon smtp host is
> public or dedicated?

Apologies for what may seem like a silly question, but what's the difference?

Antony.

--
Normal people think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Engineers think "If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet".

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.
Re: Identifying Amazon hosts... [ In reply to ]
Hi Antony,
please accept my apologizes and excuse my lack of accuracy on asking. i have knowledge near zero on Amazon, AWS, SES, etc..
My believe is that there are public amazon smtp servers that can be used by their customers (SES) and servers you have for your own...
Again, please everybody, bare with my lack of  knowledge
Thanks.

Re: Identifying Amazon hosts... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 July 2021 at 19:51:49, Pedro David Marco wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> i have spam with this header:

>> a48-115.smtp-out.amazonses.com) (54.240.48.115)
>>
>> Is there any way, based on its fqdn, to know whether an Amazon smtp host is
>> public or dedicated?
>
> Apologies for what may seem like a silly question, but what's the difference?

I'm assuming he's asking if there's a chance that it's an open-relay SMTP server
or one dedicated to Amazon client systems.

I'd be shocked if it was an open-relay, it'd probably be hammered by now if it
were.

There's enough spam coming from AWS clients as-is. I've seen malware and phishes
coming out of AWS, I wouldn't wouldn't unconditionally trust anything from
them.

--
Dave Funk University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering
Re: Identifying Amazon hosts... [ In reply to ]
I believe the smtp-out implies it is the Amazon SES service. I've not
seen EC2 machines with dynamic or static ("Elastic IPs") with that format.
--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation