I am also guessing that it isn't SA's place to redo the lookup.

So in closing, I wonder if anyone else is seeing occasional failures in
doing rDNS lookups at SMTP receive time.
Re: RNDS_NONE misfiring on legit mail, dns timeout issues? [ In reply to ]
On 2021-05-11 at 17:48:39 UTC-0400 (Tue, 11 May 2021 17:48:39 -0400)
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I wonder if something is being overly aggressive about timing out
> lookups and I'm getting unlucky with packet loss,

As Wietse consistently tells Postfix users, resolver problems are in the resolver.

Frequently, that means /etc/resolv.conf. If you've set tight timeouts there, that's your problem. OR, maybe your OS/distro has tight defaults. OR a squirrel has taken to gnawing your wires...

> or if there's a bug
> someplace else. I guess this is really a postfix question, as that
> unknown was put in the Received: line by postfix.
>
> I am also guessing that it isn't SA's place to redo the lookup.

Both correct. SA relies on the MTA to construct parseable and honest Received headers.

> So in closing, I wonder if anyone else is seeing occasional failures in
> doing rDNS lookups at SMTP receive time.

It happens to me whenever I update BIND and forget to turn off IPv6 resolution (because I have no IPv6 connectivity) in the freshly clobbered startup script. It's exactly that sort of failure pattern: a small number of client IPs don't get looked up properly, but it's not even every time for any of them.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire
Re: RNDS_NONE misfiring on legit mail, dns timeout issues? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 May 2021 17:48:39 -0400
Greg Troxel wrote:

> So in closing, I wonder if anyone else is seeing occasional failures
> in doing rDNS lookups at SMTP receive time.

This is the reason I continued using the Botnet plugin which does its
own lookup. My last-external received header isn't under my control, so
I can't change the timeouts. I meta the the header version with the
plugin equivalent.