Mailing List Archive

TXREP recommendation status, default status?
I recently went thrugh my setup and read a bunch of web pages, and
decided to try TXREP. My summary comments after a few weeks:

It seems to be working quite well.

Outbound processing is really useful; people I mail to get negative
points on inbound messages.

I worry less about FPs from giving rules like RDNS_NONE and
FREEMAIL_FROM a point or so.

sa-learn(1) doesn't document that it feeds to TXREP.

sa-learn(1) doesn't document that messages will be scanned again at
learn time if TXPRE is configured, and that this will cause DNSBL
lookups. Therefore use the -L flag!

There are probably some reasons why this isn't default, but it seeems
highly useful.

and the complicated bits:

I'm a little concerned about performance with senders like gmai.
where while some high % of the mail I get from them is ham, that's
different than the a priori odds of a message arriving from an unknown
sender. So I'd like to not really give weight to "this came from
gmail". However many domains are correlated. So I wonder about
keeping second-order stats to figure out variance and basically not
paying attention to reputation by IP address (sending domain,
logically) for those that send both ham and spam, leaving the weight
to lookups by full email address only.

I don't see why the message is rescored when learning. The user says
if it's ham or spam, for -20 or +20, and thus SA's opinion is moot.
Re: TXREP recommendation status, default status? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 11:48:06 -0400
Greg Troxel wrote:

> I recently went thrugh my setup and read a bunch of web pages, and
> decided to try TXREP. My summary comments after a few weeks:
>
> It seems to be working quite well.
>
> Outbound processing is really useful; people I mail to get negative
> points on inbound messages.

IIRC that alters the non-authenticated email address reputation which
only affects incoming email with no spf or dkim pass at all. Personally
I get very little legitimate mail where that's the case.

Be aware that the TxRep documentation is often inaccurate - especially
when it's discussing how it works.
Re: TXREP recommendation status, default status? [ In reply to ]
RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 11:48:06 -0400
> Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> I recently went thrugh my setup and read a bunch of web pages, and
>> decided to try TXREP. My summary comments after a few weeks:
>>
>> It seems to be working quite well.
>>
>> Outbound processing is really useful; people I mail to get negative
>> points on inbound messages.
>
> IIRC that alters the non-authenticated email address reputation which
> only affects incoming email with no spf or dkim pass at all. Personally
> I get very little legitimate mail where that's the case.

Thanks; that seems like a bug. It would seem that if I mail to
foo@example.com, then the following should get a negative boost

DKIM (biggest)
SPF (next)
RDNS match
none of the above

> Be aware that the TxRep documentation is often inaccurate - especially
> when it's discussing how it works.

Thanks for the warning. I guess I too should feel free to send fixes.

It would be good to have a program to dump the db (and perhaps import as
well) in the main distribution. I haven't gone looking but it seems
that db inspection programs are often not quite as available.