Mailing List Archive

DCC license
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

I'm looking into installing DCC (Distributed Checksum Clearninghouse)
software.

The page at https://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/INSTALL.html says:

"The free license is intended to cover individuals and organizations
including Internet service providers using DCC to filter their own mail.
Organizations selling anti-spam appliances or managed mail services are
not eligible for the free license."

However, when I look at the actual LICENSE file that ships with the
software, it says:

* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software without
* changes for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted,
provided
* that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
all
* copies and any distributed versions or copies are either unchanged
* or not called anything similar to "DCC" or "Distributed Checksum
* Clearinghouse".
*
* __________________________________________________
*
* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND RHYOLITE SOFTWARE, LLC DISCLAIMS
ALL
* WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED
WARRANTIES
* OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL RHYOLITE SOFTWARE,
LLC
* BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
* OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR
PROFITS,
* WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS
ACTION,
* ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS
SOFTWARE.
*

I don't see anything in there about disallowing usage of the software by
"managed mail services."
Re: DCC license [ In reply to ]
On 22.04.21 09:20, Steve Dondley wrote:
>Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.
>
>I'm looking into installing DCC (Distributed Checksum Clearninghouse)
>software.

DCC has it's own users list.

>I don't see anything in there about disallowing usage of the software
>by "managed mail services."

there's nothing like that inside. The only requirement is to use public DCC
server infrastructure (e.g. share checksums).
Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer.
Linux - Teraz mozete pocitac bez obav zapnut.
Re: DCC license [ In reply to ]
On 22 Apr 2021, at 9:20, Steve Dondley wrote:

> Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

More than a bit.

DCC is not owned, released, or bundled by the ASF SpamAssassin Project
or any other part of the ASF. The SpamAssassin project doesn't have any
control over DCC licensing or any particular expertise in the
interpretation of software licenses. DCC integrations exist in SA but
are not enabled by default. As far as I know, there's no overlap between
active SA and DCC developers, although KAM does host one of the public
DCC servers.

The DCC FAQ at https://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/FAQ.html#license
describes the definitive ways to get any questions answered regarding
DCC licensing. Any answers you could get here would be conjecture and
anecdote.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire
Re: DCC license [ In reply to ]
> The DCC FAQ at https://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/FAQ.html#license
> describes the definitive ways to get any questions answered regarding
> DCC licensing. Any answers you could get here would be conjecture and
> anecdote.

I found a form on their website for licensing questions. Waiting to hear
back.