Mailing List Archive

Senderscore
Spamassassin on my mail server uses a local dedicated caching DNS
server, and it is only service which uses it (it's specified in
local.cf).

The last 3 days I have logged about 500 failed DNS query errors to
senderscore.com, e.g.:

19-Apr-2021 13:28:01.367 query-errors: info: client @0x7f31c334a9a0
127.0.0.1#53689 (214.48.240.54.bl.score.senderscore.com): query failed
(SERVFAIL) for 214.48.240.54.bl.score.senderscore.com/IN/A at
../../../bin/named/query.c:9385

...where in the month prior there were about 10 failures logged in
total. It's failing on what looks like every inbound email.

From what I can see it's a genuine blocklist lookup by SA...
(RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL in 20_dnsbl_tests.cf) but the error rate is strange.

Am I the only one with high volume of lookup errors from that bl? :-)
or do I need to be looking for an issue locally...

Simon.

--
Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16
Re: Senderscore [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 02:04:55PM +1000, Simon Wilson wrote:
> Spamassassin on my mail server uses a local dedicated caching DNS server,
> and it is only service which uses it (it's specified in local.cf).
>
> The last 3 days I have logged about 500 failed DNS query errors to
> senderscore.com, e.g.:
>
> 19-Apr-2021 13:28:01.367 query-errors: info: client @0x7f31c334a9a0
> 127.0.0.1#53689 (214.48.240.54.bl.score.senderscore.com): query failed
> (SERVFAIL) for 214.48.240.54.bl.score.senderscore.com/IN/A at
> ../../../bin/named/query.c:9385
>
> ...where in the month prior there were about 10 failures logged in total.
> It's failing on what looks like every inbound email.
>
> From what I can see it's a genuine blocklist lookup by SA...
> (RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL in 20_dnsbl_tests.cf) but the error rate is strange.
>
> Am I the only one with high volume of lookup errors from that bl? :-) or do
> I need to be looking for an issue locally...

I am also interested in finding some sender reputation list like this.
I also had a similar experience trying to get senderscore to work. I
picked up the phone and called them a few weeks ago.

I think initially senderscore's goal was as you (and I) thought, to
score senders such that bad senders could be blocked. But that's not
what they do now. What they do now is enable marketeers to get into
people's inboxes by telling the marketeers' what *their* score is
relative to the person or group they are targeting. It's your
sendsender score, not the other way around.

I am still looking for a sender reputation list, if anyone has
recommendations, please share!

Michael Grant
Re: Senderscore [ In reply to ]
Hi Simon,

For info for few days now, the Senderscore DNS server is failing to
answer. I've pinged one relation I have at Validity so they can dig on
it.

Senderscore via DNS is a legacy service they just maintain but dunno
for how long... They are more on a mood to stop that service in the
future to push to their API usage, and you ofc need to be client to
use it :)

Re: Senderscore [ In reply to ]
And btw, usually on the DNS infos of Senderscores, you can see about 3
days of lag compared to their online interface, dunno if expected on
their side, or they're facing perf issues, but that service is not a
top priority at all at least

Re: Senderscore [ In reply to ]
> And btw, usually on the DNS infos of Senderscores, you can see about 3
> days of lag compared to their online interface, dunno if expected on
> their side, or they're facing perf issues, but that service is not a
> top priority at all at least
>
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 7:29 PM Simon Bressier <bressier.s@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> For info for few days now, the Senderscore DNS server is failing to
>> answer. I've pinged one relation I have at Validity so they can dig on
>> it.
>>
>> Senderscore via DNS is a legacy service they just maintain but dunno
>> for how long... They are more on a mood to stop that service in the
>> future to push to their API usage, and you ofc need to be client to
>> use it :)

Seems like a good candidate to be dropped from tests.

That dnsbl is called in 20_dnsbl_tests.cf as follows:

# Validity RPBL (née Return Path Reputation Network Blacklist - RNBL):
# https://www.senderscore.org/blocklistlookup/
# (replaces RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL)
header RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL
eval:check_rbl('rnbl-lastexternal','bl.score.senderscore.com.')
describe RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL Relay in Validity RPBL,
https://senderscore.org/blocklistlookup/
tflags RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL net publish
reuse RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL

...is the correct way to disable it:

local.cf: score RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL 0

?

Simon

--
Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16
Re: Senderscore [ In reply to ]
On 20 Apr 2021, at 7:27, Simon Wilson wrote:

> ...is the correct way to disable it:
>
> local.cf: score RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL 0

Yes.

--