Mailing List Archive

Spamassassin reporting IP address is whitelisted by DNSWL.org but DNSWL.org reports it is not
I'm very, very sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm deeply confused by
the "RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI" rule which appears to be reporting incorrectly on
my system.

I ran this command:

sudo -u s -- spamassassin -t -d < some_email

It gives me this report:

pts rule name description
---- ----------------------
1.2 URIBL_ABUSE_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the ABUSE SURBL
blocklist
[URIs: bizgrouplinknews.com]
1.7 URIBL_BLACK Contains an URL listed in the URIBL
blacklist
[URIs: bizgrouplinknews.com]
2.5 URIBL_DBL_SPAM Contains a spam URL listed in the Spamhaus
DBL
blocklist
[URIs: bizgrouplinknews.com]
0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_L5 RBL: Very bad reputation (-5)
[50.30.46.135 listed in bl.mailspike.net]
-2.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI RBL: Sender listed at
https://www.dnswl.org/,
high trust
[50.30.46.135 listed in list.dnswl.org]
0.5 BAYES_999 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99.9 to 100%
[score: 1.0000]
3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
[score: 1.0000]
1.3 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in
bl.spamcop.net
[Blocked - see
<https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?50.30.46.135>]
-0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
0.0 SPF_HELO_NONE SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record
2.6 DEAR_FRIEND BODY: Dear Friend? That's not very dear!
0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
0.1 HTTPS_HTTP_MISMATCH BODY: No description available.
-0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature
from
author's domain
0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not
necessarily
valid
-0.1 DKIM_VALID Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK
signature
0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_BL Mailspike blacklisted
3.5 URI_PHP_REDIR PHP redirect to different URL (link
obfuscation)

So it's showing the IP address 50.30.46.135 is whitelisted as shown by
the RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI rule.

However, the dnswl.org domain shows that the 50.30.46.135 is *not*
whitelisted: https://www.dnswl.org/s/?s=50.30.46.135

So what would account for my system reporting it as whitelisted when the
dnswl.org domain does not report it as whitelisted?
Re: Spamassassin reporting IP address is whitelisted by DNSWL.org but DNSWL.org reports it is not [ In reply to ]
On 10 Apr 2021, at 14:53, Steve Dondley wrote:

> I'm very, very sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm deeply confused by
> the "RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI" rule which appears to be reporting incorrectly
> on my system.

STOP USING ANY PUBLIC DNS RESOLVERS WITH ANY MAIL SERVERS!

Some of these will return bogus values instead of a proper NXDOMAIN,
SERVFAIL, or REFUSED when asked questions that they cannot answer or
don't want to answer.

Quad9 is one such. It is UNFIT for any use by any mail system. It tells
you lies about DNS, supposedly for what its operators deem to be your
own good.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire
Re: Spamassassin reporting IP address is whitelisted by DNSWL.org but DNSWL.org reports it is not [ In reply to ]
On 2021-04-10 03:20 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2021, at 14:53, Steve Dondley wrote:
>
>> I'm very, very sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm deeply confused by
>> the "RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI" rule which appears to be reporting incorrectly
>> on my system.
>
> STOP USING ANY PUBLIC DNS RESOLVERS WITH ANY MAIL SERVERS!

For the record, my nameserver setting in /etc/resolv.conf was some local
IP address which presumably used an Amazon Web Service (AWS) DNS server.

After changing the IP address to 127.0.0.1 in that file, it changed
itself back to the original IP address after some short period of time.
To fix this, follow the appropriate instructions here:
https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/ec2-static-dns-ubuntu-debian/