Mailing List Archive

Problem installing sa on my pi 3b+
Hi there,

when running a 'sudo apt-get install spamassassin' on my raspian pi 3b+
i keep running into a problem with sa-compile:

sa-compile (3.4.2-1+deb10u3) wird eingerichtet ...
Running sa-compile (may take a long time)
In file included from
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.28/CORE/perl.h:702,
                 from body_0.xs:2:
/usr/include/ctype.h: In function ‘tolower’:
/usr/include/ctype.h:209:3: internal compiler error: Ungültiger
Maschinenbefehl
   return __c >= -128 && __c < 256 ? (*__ctype_tolower_loc ())[__c] : __c;
   ^~~~~~
0x76aff11f ???
        ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/arm/sigrestorer.S:64
0x76ae9717 __libc_start_main
        /build/glibc-FUvrFr/glibc-2.28/csu/libc-start.c:308

Can anyone give me a hint what to do? I am rather new to this so other
than running some packet installs i've done nothing but working thru
howto's.

Kind regards

Christian
Re: Problem installing sa on my pi 3b+ [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 02:27:46 +0200
spamassassin@mach2.franken.de wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> when running a 'sudo apt-get install spamassassin' on my raspian pi
> 3b+ i keep running into a problem with sa-compile:
> Can anyone give me a hint what to do?

Using compiled rules is not essential, IIWY I'd just comment out

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Rule2XSBody

in v320.pre.
Re: Problem installing sa on my pi 3b+ [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 03:29:12 +0200
Christian Tasler wrote:

> Ok, maybe I'll need more than just a hint as I understood mostly
> nothing. I am running said packet install from an internet tutorial.
> I cannot do anything between issuing that command and the printout of
> the error. So how am I supposed to comment anything out? And
> when/where to issue that loadplugin command?
> I cant even tell which version the apt-get is fetching.
>
> I did hope for such hints like "missing params" or "not enough ram"
> when I asked for hints but with such a in depth advice I am totally
> lost. Thus any help (noob-level !) would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't realize that was from within a package installer. If you can
ignore the error and proceed you should do so. Otherwise you'll have to
take it up with the package maintainer.

Commenting-out that line just prevents SA from trying to use compiled
rules. Actually I see that this is commented by default anyway.
Re: Problem installing sa on my pi 3b+ [ In reply to ]
Ok so it seems I cant do anything to get it running on my side.
Funny enough that I use the official raspian which I kept up to date
with 'sudo apt-get update'
and now the 'sudo apt-get install that claims to use the newest version
(3.4.2-1+deb10u3) keeps running into such an error.
How to find out who the packet maintainer is?

But hey, I found a crude way around it somehow:
Instead of my 3b+ with 1 gb ram I used my fresh-out-of-the-box PI 4 that
just arrived via mail.
I simply swapped the sdcard (I dont know if that will cause other issues
but it did boot).
Guess what:
It did compile and install flawlessly.
I swapped the cards back and keep ignoring some wierd errors that get
printed on booting but the stuff seems to be running.
I if I had to guess I'd say the thing wont compile on a 1gb thingy
anymore - maybe earlier, smaller versions did?

Do I need to redo all anew on the PI 4 or can I simply use the working
setup of my PI 3b+ and slot that card into the PI 4?
Noob-question i think, but heck I dont know.

Kind regards
Re: Problem installing sa on my pi 3b+ [ In reply to ]

You said somewhere else:

> I am running said packet install from an internet tutorial.

Who wrote that tutorial and where does it point you to get the packages from?

Antony.

--
There are 10 types of people in the world:
those who understand binary notation,

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.
Re: Problem installing sa on my pi 3b+ [ In reply to ]
Am 07.04.2021 um 12:27 schrieb Antony Stone:

>> I am running said packet install from an internet tutorial.
> Who wrote that tutorial and where does it point you to get the packages from?
>

> Antony.

Hmm, it says execute the following commands:

    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install spamassassin

Without any further params. How am I supposed to know where that command
does get its package from???

Christian
Re: Problem installing sa on my pi 3b+ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021, spamassassin@mach2.franken.de wrote:

> Am 07.04.2021 um 12:27 schrieb Antony Stone:
>>
>>> I am running said packet install from an internet tutorial.
>> Who wrote that tutorial and where does it point you to get the packages
>> from?
>>

>> Antony.
>>
> Hmm, it says execute the following commands:
>
>     sudo apt-get update
>     sudo apt-get install spamassassin
>
> Without any further params. How am I supposed to know where that command does
> get its package from???
>
> Christian

Christian,

Use the "apt show spamassassin" command to show the information about the
spamassassin package.
One of the lines of output will be something like:
APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64 Packages

That will tell you the package repository that it's getting that particular
package from.
For more info about the collection of sources that 'apt' & 'apt-get' are using
look at the "sources.list" config files in /etc/apt/ directory.

HTH

Dave

--
Dave Funk University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering