Mailing List Archive

OT: Re: Unsubscribe link at the bottom.
On 4/5/21 8:41 PM, Peter West wrote:
> I’d agree it’s address verification, as with the Unsubscribe link
> at the bottom.

I'm of the opinion that if I have any inclining of knowledge of the
company sending the email, and SPF/DKIM/DMARC pass, I'll probably use
the unsubscribe link.

Recently I ran into a 404 from the unsubscribe link from a company that
my wife did business with. *facepalm*

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: OT: Re: Unsubscribe link at the bottom. [ In reply to ]
Yes. I meant the unsubscribe link from an unknown advertiser.

Peter West
pbw@ehealth.id.au
“He has risen…”

Re: OT: Re: Unsubscribe link at the bottom. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 5 Apr 2021, Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 4/5/21 8:41 PM, Peter West wrote:
>> I’d agree it’s address verification, as with the Unsubscribe link at the
>> bottom.
>
> I'm of the opinion that if I have any inclining of knowledge of the company
> sending the email, and SPF/DKIM/DMARC pass, I'll probably use the unsubscribe
> link.
>
> Recently I ran into a 404 from the unsubscribe link from a company that my
> wife did business with. *facepalm*

What ticks me off is an unsubscribe link that goes to a javascript-heavy
page and that *won't work* without javascript.

And an unsubscribe link with a huge identifying key on it, yet the
unsubscribe page still asks you to enter your email address...

jhardin@impsec.org pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
Are you a mildly tech-literate politico horrified by the level of
ignorance demonstrated by lawmakers gearing up to regulate online
technology they don't even begin to grasp? Cool. Now you have a
tiny glimpse into a day in the life of a gun owner. -- Sean Davis
7 days until Thomas Jefferson's 278th Birthday
Re: OT: Re: Unsubscribe link at the bottom. [ In reply to ]
On 4/6/21 8:34 AM, John Hardin wrote:
> What ticks me off is an unsubscribe link that goes to a javascript-heavy
> page and that *won't work* without javascript.
>
> And an unsubscribe link with a huge identifying key on it, yet the
> unsubscribe page still asks you to enter your email address...

Ya....

Those types of senders usually end up banned on my server with a custom
comment to that effect.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: OT: Re: Unsubscribe link at the bottom. [ In reply to ]
John Hardin schrieb am 06.04.2021 um 16:34:
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2021, Grant Taylor wrote:
>
>> On 4/5/21 8:41 PM, Peter West wrote:
>>> I’d agree it’s address verification, as with the Unsubscribe link at
>>> the bottom.
>>
>> I'm of the opinion that if I have any inclining of knowledge of the
>> company sending the email, and SPF/DKIM/DMARC pass, I'll probably use
>> the unsubscribe link.
>>
>> Recently I ran into a 404 from the unsubscribe link from a company
>> that my wife did business with.  *facepalm*
>
> What ticks me off is an unsubscribe link that goes to a
> javascript-heavy page and that *won't work* without javascript.
>
> And an unsubscribe link with a huge identifying key on it, yet the
> unsubscribe page still asks you to enter your email address...

As far as I see it, unsubscribe links from spammers are placebo, because
the "campaign" or "mailing list" or "newsletter" is created for just one
mass mailing session, then never used again. You don't need to
unsubscribe (nor the spammer need to provide a real working unsubscribe
functionality), because your address isn't used for *this* mailing list
again anyway. However, it's used for creating a whole new mailing list
tomorrow and a second one the day after tomorrow, but that's a
completely different newsletter than the one from today (as the spammer
would say, why he continues sending although you unsubscribed).