Mailing List Archive

HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA
Happy Sunday !!!

Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z

Better disable till it's fixed

score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 0

Stay safe!
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 21-01-31 12:58:48, Axb wrote:
> Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z

That's still one year to go, isn't it?
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]

On 31.01.21 12:02, Georg Faerber wrote:
>That's still one year to go, isn't it?

Updated Date: 2021-01-31T09:40:42Z

they fixed it in the meantime.

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 1/31/21 1:02 PM, Georg Faerber wrote:
> On 21-01-31 12:58:48, Axb wrote:
>> Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
>> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z
>
> That's still one year to go, isn't it?

That is when the domain will be free for takers.

see https://spamcop.net/
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 31/01/2021 22:06, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 21-01-31 12:58:48, Axb wrote: Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z

On 31.01.21 12:02, Georg Faerber wrote:

> That's still one year to go, isn't it?

Updated Date: 2021-01-31T09:40:42Z

they fixed it in the meantime.

nope

try lookup your host, or, any host, it goes to "has address
91.195.240.87"

Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to
copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate
this message without the authors express written authority to do so.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then
delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately.
Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost
by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
I get someone over there know.

Udeme - LinkedIn

Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 31.01.21 12:02, Georg Faerber wrote:
>On 21-01-31 12:58:48, Axb wrote:
>> Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
>> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z
>
>That's still one year to go, isn't it?

seems that this has been overtaken by someone who provides false positives
for anyhing:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
1.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net. 1800 IN A 91.195.240.87

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 1/31/21 3:35 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 31.01.21 12:02, Georg Faerber wrote:
>> On 21-01-31 12:58:48, Axb wrote:
>>> Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
>>> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z
>>
>> That's still one year to go, isn't it?
>
> seems that this has been overtaken by someone who provides false positives
> for anyhing:
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> 1.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net. 1800  IN      A       91.195.240.87

It's parked & wildcarded. Sedo_typical
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 31.01.21 15:43, Axb wrote:
>On 1/31/21 3:35 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>>
>>>That's still one year to go, isn't it?
>>
>>seems that this has been overtaken by someone who provides false positives
>>for anyhing:
>>
>>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>>1.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net. 1800? IN????? A?????? 91.195.240.87
>
>It's parked & wildcarded. Sedo_typical

looks like answer 91.195.240.87 should be treated as NXDOMAIN

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watkins. -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
Den 31-01-2021 kl. 15:35 skrev Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> On 31.01.21 12:02, Georg Faerber wrote:
>> On 21-01-31 12:58:48, Axb wrote:
>>> Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
>>> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z
>>
>> That's still one year to go, isn't it?
>
> seems that this has been overtaken by someone who provides false
> positives
> for anyhing:
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> 1.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net. 1800  IN      A       91.195.240.87

If this one causes false positives for anyone, then that actual
person/organisation (obviously, MX operator side) that it causes false
positives for, are the one to blame.

Spamcop hasn't ever listed "91.195.240.87" a valid return code, have they?

->
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/291.html

> The response code from the SpamCop server to indicate a queried IP is
> listed is 127.0.0.2

If everyone had done proper return code checking, e.g. response =
127.0.0.2, and not been triggering on anything else, then everyone's
mail systems would have kept running just fine, without any issues, at all.

After all, any false positives are solely done by the lack of proper
validation of return codes on the receiving end.

Note that the spamcop.net domain simply hasn't been renewed! It hasn't
*YET* been "overtaken by someone", as you say.

It is *STILL* under the auto-renew period where the Spamcop admins have
the possibility to renew the domain, and restore functionality. It is
very common (more like standard, than just common) for the "Registry
Expiry Date" to show another year upon expiration and until the domain
has been renewed or deleted. You want to check the actual registrar
whois server (e.g. whois.enom.com) for the actual expiration date from
the registrar. That one still says 2021-01-30.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
Arne Jensen
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 16:30:21 +0100
Arne Jensen wrote:

> If everyone had done proper return code checking, e.g. response =
> 127.0.0.2, and not been triggering on anything else, then everyone's
> mail systems would have kept running just fine, without any issues,
> at all.

SpamAssassin does a TXT record lookup for spamcop. It isn't causing
false positives.
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
Den 31-01-2021 kl. 16:52 skrev RW:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 16:30:21 +0100
> Arne Jensen wrote:
>

>> If everyone had done proper return code checking, e.g. response =
>> 127.0.0.2, and not been triggering on anything else, then everyone's
>> mail systems would have kept running just fine, without any issues,
>> at all.
> SpamAssassin does a TXT record lookup for spamcop. It isn't causing
> false positives.

Not saying that SpamAssassin was doing it wrong. ;-)

BTW, -

Domain was updated ~21 minutes ago on 2021-01-31T16:04:06Z, now saying:

   Name Server: NS1-109.AKAM.NET
   Name Server: NS1-11.AKAM.NET
   Name Server: NS1-73.AKAM.NET
   Name Server: NS1-90.AKAM.NET
   Name Server: NS1-93.AKAM.NET
   Name Server: USE1.AKAM.NET

Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]

On 31.01.21 16:30, Arne Jensen wrote:
>If this one causes false positives for anyone, then that actual
>person/organisation (obviously, MX operator side) that it causes false
>positives for, are the one to blame.
>
>Spamcop hasn't ever listed "91.195.240.87" a valid return code, have they?

...even spamcop's howto doesn't describe using the code:

https://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/349.html

>->
>https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/291.html
>
>> The response code from the SpamCop server to indicate a queried IP is
>> listed is 127.0.0.2
>
>If everyone had done proper return code checking, e.g. response =
>127.0.0.2, and not been triggering on anything else, then everyone's
>mail systems would have kept running just fine, without any issues, at all.
>
>After all, any false positives are solely done by the lack of proper
>validation of return codes on the receiving end.
>

>Note that the spamcop.net domain simply hasn't been renewed! It hasn't
>*YET* been "overtaken by someone", as you say.

it has been overtaken by registrar and provided with fake data.
(I wouldn't expect this from serious registrar)

however, problem seems to be fixed:

www.spamcop.net. 300 IN CNAME spamcop.net.edgekey.net.

spamcop.net.edgekey.net. 300 IN CNAME e8912.dscg.akamaiedge.net.

e8912.dscg.akamaiedge.net. 20 IN A 92.123.24.114

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 1/31/2021 6:58 AM, Axb wrote:

> Happy Sunday !!!
>
> Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z
>
> Better disable till it's fixed
>
> score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 0
>

> Stay safe!
OK.  Thanks.
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 31 Jan 2021, at 10:04, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 31.01.21 15:43, Axb wrote:

>>> seems that this has been overtaken by someone who provides false
>>> positives
>>> for anyhing:
>>>
>>> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>>> 1.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net. 1800  IN      A
>>> 91.195.240.87
>>
>> It's parked & wildcarded. Sedo_typical
>
> looks like answer 91.195.240.87 should be treated as NXDOMAIN

Only a carelessly misconfigured system will treat "any A record" as an
active DNSBL listing. We are almost 2 decades past the first time a
DNSBL had this problem and responsibly developed tools (like SA) avoid
it by default.

In the case of SpamCop and SA, the default RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET rule
will only match if there's a TXT record with 'spamcop' in its content.
Other DNSBL rules in SA require hitting specific 127.* values in A
records.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 31 Jan 2021, at 6:58, Axb wrote:

> Happy Sunday !!!
>
> Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z
>
> Better disable till it's fixed
>
> score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 0
>

> Stay safe!

SpamAssassin was already "safe" in that it checks the SpamCop BL for a
TXT record containing 'spamcop' rather than simply for the existence of
an A record. For other DNSBLs, specific values are required in A
records.

Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 1/31/21 8:04 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2021, at 6:58, Axb wrote:
>
>> Happy Sunday !!!
>>
>> Cisco forgot to renew spamcop.net
>> Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-30T05:00:00Z
>>
>> Better disable till it's fixed
>>
>> score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 0
>>

>> Stay safe!
>
> SpamAssassin was already "safe" in that it checks the SpamCop BL for a
> TXT record containing 'spamcop' rather than simply for the existence of
> an A record. For other DNSBLs, specific values are required in A records.

had forgotten the TXT thing... was a warning for ppl in general.. even
for such using spamcop at MTA level.

whatever..
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
Den 31-01-2021 kl. 18:43 skrev Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> On 31.01.21 16:30, Arne Jensen wrote:
>> If this one causes false positives for anyone, then that actual
>> person/organisation (obviously, MX operator side) that it causes false
>> positives for, are the one to blame.
>>
>> Spamcop hasn't ever listed "91.195.240.87" a valid return code, have
>> they?
>
> ...even spamcop's howto doesn't describe using the code:
>
> https://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/349.html

That particular link (and many other example out there) can indeed be
improved, however.

Postfix says:

> [Feature 20030715] Support for multi-valued RBL lookup results.
> For example, specify "reject_rbl_client foo.bar.tld=127.0.0.3" to
> reject clients that are listed with a "127.0.0.3" address record.
> More information is in the postconf(5) manual page.

Spamcop.net was registered on 1999-01-30, roughly 4.5 years before.
Maybe Spamcop made the Postfix example on their site, before Postfix
implemented this, and haven't yet received any feedback about it?

Click the "How do I configure my mailserver to reject mail based on the
blocklist?" link, that you see on top of the link you sent, and you will
be pointed to the actual site which I linked in the Google cache link
(due to spamcop.net being unavailable at the time):

-> https://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/291.html

It literally also says:

> We recommend that when using any spam filtering method, users be given
> access to the filtered mail - don't block the mail as documented here,
> but store it in a separate mailbox. Or tag it and provide users
> documentation so that they can filter based on the tags in their own
> MUA. We provide this information only for administrators who cannot
> use a more subtle approach for whatever reason.
So eh, depending on how you interpret that one, then by rejecting it
outright, ... you aren't really following their advice either.

But again, unless you have already done so, it's a good time now to make
sure you check the return codes properly, not just for Spamcop, but for
all black/white-lists that you use may eventually use.

DNSWL (whitelist) will return 127.0.0.255, if you're over quota or using
public resolvers.

Spamhaus (blacklist) will return 127.255.255.x responses, if you're over
quota, using public resolvers or otherwise incorrect queries.

URIBL (black/mix list(s)) will return 127.0.0.1 / 127.0.0.255, if you're
over quota or using public resolvers, or otherwise seeming to be abusive
towards their infrastructure.

... and so will likely many (if not most/all) others, too.

Blindly accepting every single DNS response (A records) as a
positive/negative code for those kind of lists WILL backfire at some point.

After all, you are the only one to blame for eventual careless (lack of)
actions, on your systems, including eventual consequences coming as a
result of them.

>> Note that the spamcop.net domain simply hasn't been renewed! It hasn't
>> *YET* been "overtaken by someone", as you say.
>
> it has been overtaken by registrar and provided with fake data.
> (I wouldn't expect this from serious registrar)

The majority (if not all) registrars (of any major NON-country code
TLD's) will do something like that, going from expiration date and
generally up to around ~7-45 days after the expiration date, where the
domain is (finally) being deleted completely, and made available for new
registrants to take.

Remember, it only happens after several reminder notifications and
without payment. I'm always getting several reminders before things like
this happens, regardless which registrar I've been using.

But considering your phrasing, ... isn't it also possible to argue
whether Spamcop is really something serious?

e.g.
a) They ignored multiple notifications about their expiring domain
b) They eventually didn't care enough to monitor their things properly

... I guess we could go on?

So what about a "serious company/organisation"? I mean, wouldn't a such
one have enough things in place, to make sure that their domains didn't
expire, like it happened here?

Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
On 1/31/21 8:28 PM, Arne Jensen wrote:

> Spamhaus (blacklist) will return 127.255.255.x responses, if you're
> over quota, using public resolvers or otherwise incorrect queries.

Hi,

this is not completely true. As stated here:
https://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/788/spamhaus-dnsbl-return-codes-technical-update
we are giving 127.255.255.254 return codes if you are using public
resolver, but this is not completely enforced.

This means that if you are using *very common* public resolvers (or if
your VM uses common VPS provider DNSs) you'll get a NXDOMAIN response,
that will dramatically lower spam detection, while not giving useful
response too. This had to be done because some (misconfigured) MTAs
interprets any response different than NXDOMAIN as "LISTED". And we
really don't want to cause unnecessary FPs.

We always recommend to register a free DQS key
(https://www.spamhaus.com/product/data-query-service/), that will work
even with *very common* open resolvers.

Our SpamAssassin plugin (https://github.com/spamhaus/spamassassin-dqs)
is written taking in account all of the different edge cases, and
everyone is encouraged to try it.

Sorry for vendor spam, but I felt this had to be outlined

--
Best regards,
Riccardo Alfieri

Spamhaus Technology
https://www.spamhaustech.com/
Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
spamcop seems back.. but... we need to be 100% sure that people behind it who should be....
-----
Pedreter

Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
100% ?    Something's amiss...
First time in 10 years I've gotten this:

"An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #30.24721cb8.1612134453.1a374d81"

from here:    https://www.spamcop.net/

Something has changed.

Re: HEADS UP: SPAMCOP MIA [ In reply to ]
Den 31-01-2021 kl. 21:11 skrev Riccardo Alfieri:

> On 1/31/21 8:28 PM, Arne Jensen wrote:
>
>> Spamhaus (blacklist) will return 127.255.255.x responses, if you're
>> over quota, using public resolvers or otherwise incorrect queries.
>>

> this is not completely true. As stated here:
> https://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/788/spamhaus-dnsbl-return-codes-technical-update
> we are giving 127.255.255.254 return codes if you are using public
> resolver, but this is not completely enforced.

Not completely true, ... in which direction? The strict enforcement
alone, where mentioning "will eventually return" would have been better?

As you are not documenting directly that it isn't a strict enforcement,
I'd say the best assumption that one can take would be to believe that
it is actually strict enforcement. However, documenting such things
(e.g. in too specific details) can also cause other consequences, where
it may indeed be better to leave such details as being mysterious.

127.255.255.x, 127.255.255.0/24 (as your site lists), or 127.255.255.*
would all represent the same area, if you ask me, and looking at:
https://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/DNSBL%20Usage#200
<https://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/DNSBL%20Usage#200>:

> 127.255.255.252 ?? ?Any ?? ?Typing error in DNSBL name
> 127.255.255.254 ?? ?Any ?? ?Query via public/open resolver
> 127.255.255.255 ?? ?Any ?? ?Excessive number of queries
which was solely what I was referring to there. By doing so, I simply
adhered the stuff mentioned on your own DNSBL Usage FAQ.

> This means that if you are using *very common* public resolvers (or if
> your VM uses common VPS provider DNSs) you'll get a NXDOMAIN response,
> that will dramatically lower spam detection, while not giving useful
> response too. This had to be done because some (misconfigured) MTAs
> interprets any response different than NXDOMAIN as "LISTED".

Just like the phrases mentioned on the link you mention:

> [...], it is vitally important that software developers implement all
> return codes correctly, and not treat these error codes as any sort of
> reputation or "listed" values.
and

> Any software which does not distinguish response codes from Spamhaus
> DNSBLs is, unfortunately, already out of date and may not be reliable
> in these or other cases
which are both very correct.

People should care more for the software and servers they run, and they
wouldn't run in to that many problems, which was the whole point.

> And we really don't want to cause unnecessary FPs.

Thumbs up for this, and I do not endorse (purposefully) causing FPs either.

That being said, if the 127.255.255.0/24 one causes any FPs, Spamhaus
wouldn't be the ones to blame.

Even if Spamhaus were returning the querier IP for results over e.g.
open resolvers, and that caused FPs, Spamhaus wouldn't really be the
"bad party" here, as Spamhaus have always seemed to have listed the
proper return codes, e.g. 127.0.0.0/24 for the IP zones.

The other end would be the place to blame for carelessly doing their
stuff, including, but not limited to such as e.g. deciding which
software / implementation to use.

If Spamhaus returned 127.0.0.2 (or other "negative codes") to all
queries over public resolvers, or something similar, then yes, then
Spamhaus would purposefully be making FPs. But otherwise, then the blame
isn't to be put on Spamhaus.

But as far as I have understood over the years, you had only previously
been dropping queries (which could actually lead to potentially long
timeouts, at some misconfigured systems, where the other end might give
up..).

> Sorry for vendor spam, but I felt this had to be outlined

Likewise, it wasn't my purpose to do any sort of spamming/advertising,
even if it could be seen that way.

Sometimes things just makes better sense with examples.