Mailing List Archive

Help writing a rule
All,

I'm noticing a pattern of email like:

From: "GUSHI.ORG Administrator" <somerando@host.cn>
To: you@gushi.org
Subject: Your mailbox has exceeded its quota

Or some such nonsense.

Now, DMARC and SPF and DKIM would be able to block the domain if they
tried to spoof it in the From email address. But mail clients helpfully
these days aren't showing the actual email address to people. Ergo, I'm
looking to do the following:

Catch a case where the REALNAME of the FROM address contains a domain that
is in the TO header. This would seem to require a macro of some kind to
capture the value and do the comparison, so this doesn't seem to be the
kind of thing one can do (dynamically) with a regular rule.

Note my unanswered question a week or two ago seeking macros for the spamc
username, lhs, and rhs for use in rules.

I mean, certainly, I could hardcode the domain name, but I'd like
something more flexible.

-Dan

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm noticing a pattern of email like:
>
> From: "GUSHI.ORG Administrator" <somerando@host.cn>
> To: you@gushi.org
> Subject: Your mailbox has exceeded its quota
>
> Or some such nonsense.
>
> Now, DMARC and SPF and DKIM would be able to block the domain if they tried
> to spoof it in the From email address. But mail clients helpfully these days
> aren't showing the actual email address to people. Ergo, I'm looking to do
> the following:
>
> Catch a case where the REALNAME of the FROM address contains a domain that is
> in the TO header. This would seem to require a macro of some kind to capture
> the value and do the comparison, so this doesn't seem to be the kind of thing
> one can do (dynamically) with a regular rule.

It can be done with a regular rule, as header rules can match across
multiple headers.

There is already a rule like that in the base ruleset:

https://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/20210127-r1885943-n/PDS_FROM_NAME_TO_DOMAIN/detail

Jan 27 12:03:34.724 [29312] dbg: rules: ran header rule __PDS_FROM_NAME_TO_DOMAIN ======> got hit: "From: "GUSHI.ORG Administrator" <somerando@host.cn>
Jan 27 12:03:34.724 [29312] dbg: rules: [...] To: you@gushi.org"

PDS_FROM_NAME_TO_DOMAIN should have hit on that message. Did it?

jhardin@impsec.org pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
Today: the 54th anniversary of the loss of Apollo 1