Mailing List Archive

Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set
Morning all,
I wanted to share the news from
https://mcgrail.com/newsmanager/news_article.cgi?template=news.template&news_id=11
with you all.  We'll also have a mailing list up soon too.
Thanks to the sponsors and to Georgia Smith and Karsten Bräckelmann who
worked hard on setting up the infrastructure for this.

Happy Thanksgiving,
KAM

Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set

Nov 26, 2020
Happy Thanksgiving,

The McGrail Foundation is proud to announce the immediate availability
of the channel for the KAM rule set.

The rule set has been free and available to improve Apache SpamAssassin
installations for going on 17 years now. It includes rules for common
spam as well as contributed rules plus tweaks to help make things faster
and more efficient with the stock rules without lowering the efficacy.

The KAM rule set is authored by Kevin A. McGrail with contributions from
Joe Quinn, Karsten Bräckelmann, Bill Cole, and Giovanni Bechis. It is
maintained by The McGrail Foundation.

The KAM channel is made possible with the support of hosting from Linode
and help from PCCC & cPanel. More information about our sponsors can be
found at our Sponsor's Page <https://mcgrail.com/template/sponsors> at
https://mcgrail.com/template/sponsors

To enable the KAM rule set via an sa-update channel see the channel page
<https://mcgrail.com/template/kam.cf_channel> at
https://mcgrail.com/template/kam.cf_channel

--
Kevin A. McGrail
KMcGrail@Apache.org

Member, Apache Software Foundation
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]
Great to hear, congrats on making this a channel! A very nice
thanksgiving treat.

--
micah
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]
On 11/26/20 5:22 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
[...]
> The KAM rule set is authored by Kevin A. McGrail with contributions from Joe Quinn, Karsten Bräckelmann, Bill Cole, and Giovanni Bechis. It is maintained by The McGrail Foundation.
>
> The KAM channel is made possible with the support of hosting from Linode and help from PCCC & cPanel. More information about our sponsors can be found at our Sponsor's Page <https://mcgrail.com/template/sponsors> at https://mcgrail.com/template/sponsors
>
> To enable the KAM rule set via an sa-update channel see the channel page <https://mcgrail.com/template/kam.cf_channel> at https://mcgrail.com/template/kam.cf_channel

if you are using RH based Linux distros, just put the attached configuration file under /etc/mail/spamassassin/channels.d/

Giovanni
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]
On 26 Nov 2020, at 09:22, Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgrail@apache.org> wrote:
> Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set

Excellent and most welcome news!

--
They looked at the drinks.
They drank the drinks.
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On 26.11.20 11:22, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>I wanted to share the news from https://mcgrail.com/newsmanager/news_article.cgi?template=news.template&news_id=11
>with you all.? We'll also have a mailing list up soon too.
>Thanks to the sponsors and to Georgia Smith and Karsten Br?ckelmann
>who worked hard on setting up the infrastructure for this.

great to know!

is there any estimate on how often should we expect any updates to it?

Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]
> if you are using RH based Linux distros, just put the attached configuration file under /etc/mail/spamassassin/channels.d/

Apologies for the naive question;  I'm running CentOS 7, SA 3.4.3.  I
don't have that channels.d directory by default.  I've been running a
more traditional cron update:

9 3 * * * /usr/local/bin/sa-update --gpgkey 6C6191E3 --channel
updates.spamassassin.org && /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart

Can I simplify by putting a conf file for the default updates and the
KAM updates config into that location, then just run "sa-update &&
spamassassin restart" in cron?

Thanks for any tips.
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]
On 12/14/20 7:27 PM, AJ Weber wrote:

>> if you are using RH based Linux distros, just put the attached configuration file under /etc/mail/spamassassin/channels.d/
>
> Apologies for the naive question;  I'm running CentOS 7, SA 3.4.3.  I don't have that channels.d directory by default.  I've been running a more traditional cron update:
>
> 9 3 * * * /usr/local/bin/sa-update --gpgkey 6C6191E3 --channel updates.spamassassin.org && /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
>
> Can I simplify by putting a conf file for the default updates and the KAM updates config into that location, then just run "sa-update && spamassassin restart" in cron?

The channels.d directory is handled by /usr/share/spamassassin/sa-update.cron which is distributed with official RH-based RPM files and executed by /etc/cron.d/sa-update.
Stock sa-update doesn't know how to handle channels.d directories.

Giovanni
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]
On 12/14/2020 1:27 PM, AJ Weber wrote:

>> if you are using RH based Linux distros, just put the attached configuration file
>> under /etc/mail/spamassassin/channels.d/
>
> Apologies for the naive question;  I'm running CentOS 7, SA 3.4.3.  I don't have
> that channels.d directory by default.  I've been running a more traditional cron
> update:
>
> 9 3 * * * /usr/local/bin/sa-update --gpgkey 6C6191E3 --channel
> updates.spamassassin.org && /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
>
> Can I simplify by putting a conf file for the default updates and the KAM updates
> config into that location, then just run "sa-update && spamassassin restart" in cron?
>
> Thanks for any tips.

You can run it like this:

/usr/local/bin/sa-update --channelfile /path/to/channelfile.txt --gpgkeyfile
/path/to/keyfile.txt

The channelfile.txt contains one channel per line and the keyfile.txt contains one
key id per line.

--
Bowie
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]

On 15.12.20 14:30, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>You can run it like this:
>
>/usr/local/bin/sa-update --channelfile /path/to/channelfile.txt
>--gpgkeyfile /path/to/keyfile.txt
>
>The channelfile.txt contains one channel per line and the keyfile.txt
>contains one key id per line.

yes, the question in this case is why doesn't AJ have
/etc/mail/spamassassin/channels.d/ directory.
Maybe the SA 3.4.3 does not come from CentOS repository.

I believe SA or at least package maintainers should support external update
channels.

Also, you often neet to reload spamd or amavisd, which apparently should not
be done independently by multiple cron jobs...

Remember half the people you know are below average.
Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 1:29 PM Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>
wrote:

> is there any estimate on how often should we expect any updates to it?

Hi Matus,

I typically make multiple changes on every business day. Some of those
changes are to an RBL that we will likely enable by default. We're also
working on more automated tooling as well.

Since it's just a DNS check, feel free to query hourly!

Regards,
KAM
--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation

Re: Happy Thanksgiving and Announcing the Apache SpamAssassin Channel for the KAM Rule Set [ In reply to ]

On 31.12.20 15:22, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>I typically make multiple changes on every business day. Some of those
>changes are to an RBL that we will likely enable by default. We're also
>working on more automated tooling as well.
>
>Since it's just a DNS check, feel free to query hourly!

yes, since I use Debian, I'll have to make script myself.
I don't exactly remember what did I do for SOUGHT ruleset...

however, I asked because I wanted to do any automation which seemed not easy
without updates :-)

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.