I had a phishing mail skip my spf check. The spf check was done on the
Return-Path and not the From:. Is a default convention? How does
spamassassin treat a different Return-Path and From in a message?
RE: different Return-Path: and From: [ In reply to ]
> so you want your own messages blocked everywhere?

I do not know yet. I can assume this different on something like a
mailing list. It is irritating that the From has a credible name, in
this case from a bank.
Re: different Return-Path: and From: [ In reply to ]
Hi

> I had a phishing mail skip my spf check. The spf check was done on
> the Return-Path and not the From:. Is a default convention? How does
> spamassassin treat a different Return-Path and From in a message?

You have to distinguish the 'envelope' of the email, the addresses
technically needed to transmit the email.

and

The 'content' of the email. That stuff you find on the letter head
after you 'open' the envelope.

sees and this is what is being checked against SPF.

The From: Header is part of the Email Content. And Mailserver don't
look at it. This is what content scanning software does, like
SpamAssassin.

So SpamAssassin could check the From: header address against SPF, but
that would probably not work in many many cases.

The remedy to fake content From: headers is that the owner of the From:
Domains uses DKIM to sign the From: header, that he has a DMARC policy
in place and that DKIM and DMARC are checked on the Recipient side.

So yes, unfortunately email has become quite 'complicated' and you have
to use alle of SPF, DMARC and DKIM to try to avoid abuse.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen

-Benoît Panizzon- @ HomeOffice und normal erreichbar
--
I m p r o W a r e A G - Leiter Commerce Kunden

Zurlindenstrasse 29 Tel +41 61 826 93 00
CH-4133 Pratteln Fax +41 61 826 93 01
Schweiz Web http://www.imp.ch
Re: different Return-Path: and From: [ In reply to ]
For future reference if you want to start a new thread, compose a new
email to the list address. Don't reply to a random post and replace the
subject and body. Traditional threading is based on headers, and isn't
affected by changing the subject.

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 16:02:52 +0100
Marc Roos wrote:

> I had a phishing mail skip my spf check. The spf check was done on
> the Return-Path and not the From:. Is a default convention?

It's not a convention, it's part of the original specification and now
the RFC. SPF runs against the envelope sender, with the helo hostname as
a secondary check.

SPF_PASS has only a nominal score, with SPF whitelisting you are
whitelisting the envelope address, so it doesn't matter hugely.

> How does
> spamassassin treat a different Return-Path and From in a message?

There are some meta rules that involve a comparison.