Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
RE: What can one do abut outlook.com? [ In reply to ]
>> That is why it is important to read and use the brain, otherwise you
>> wander of the subject.

>waht do *you* know about brain when you don't realize that it's simply
>not doable to fight against spam by fight against large providers as
>outlook.com?

Because I understand eg there is a difference between theoretical,
practical and maybe even legal point of view.

>overall there amount of bad clients is *low* compared to the total
>number of clients

How is that % relevant. I only care that I receive spam, and I have
to put effort/work/time into resolving it.

>if all the customers of outlook.com would be served by clueless idiots
>like yours which means spread over thousands of clueless providers the
>outcome would be much worse

I am not so sure about this. Email services are more easier to set up,
thus come quite equal to bigger providers.
Smaller providers have better/more contact with their clients. Can
instruct eg clients not to use the network for newsletters.
Smaller provider have more system administrators per 1000 clients than
bigger companies, thus more hours to spend on support/abuse etc.
Smaller providers are easier to blanket block, so they are forced to
maintain higher quality of service.
Failing to see this, has the same origin as you fail to detect
intelligence.

> you can block what you want on yur home-pet-server but you really
don't
> understand how legit business works

You do not get the bigger picture, you basically are doing the work the
bigger providers should do or pay you to do. In this regards, the
Net neutrality discussion is very similar.

>proven by your bullshit of "are you guys paid by them" while the truth
>is that my and other customers of whatever mailservice want their
>fucking *legit mail* received and not trhown out with the bathwater

The use of dnsbl to reject mail is ages old. I did not invent this. The
process
is very simple. You receive spam from an ip, you eventually block the ip

from delivering mail.
How can it be your fault, if that provider is trying to send legitimate
mail via
that blocked ip? It is this providers fault. They have countless options
mitigate this situation, but they are just to lazy to do this. One for
instance
would be to put free new accounts on a different outgoing ip range than
long time high paying customers. Seperate newsletters from regular
outgoing mail, etc.

> not everybody who is in the business for decades is a supporter of big

> ISP's, the opposite is true, otherwise we just would use them at our
own

If you are long in business, you have experience, and one is likely to
have such a point of view.

> the point is: everybody but you has to deal with the real world
> if it's just me microsoft, amazon and guess what can die tomorrow and
> couldn't care less, but as long as they exist and as long they are
used
>by millions of legit customers it is what it is

Indeed and that is why this is a problem.
Re: What can one do abut outlook.com? [ In reply to ]
On 26/10/20 5:17 am, Marc Roos wrote:
>> make a reality check outside your small bubble!
> typical low iq response. I was already discussing the validity of these
> soccerplayer contracts before they had to change the system.

Afternoon Marc.

Just thought I'd let you know this same person was blocked from CentOS
mailing list a while back due to trolling.  I'm not sure the chemicals
deep in his noggin work as they are supposed to.  On the CentOS mailing
list, we stopped feeding the troll and I, specifically, made sure that
I'd never again see an email from his likes.  I wonder if the
SpamAssassin admins could just as well stop feeding the troll here as
well.  By stop I mean block it at the entrance.

Not knowing how many sunrises and sunsets the troll has seen, I'd want
to hope that it's seen enough to warrant an expedient expiry - but I can
only wish.

In the meantime, enjoy the comedy that it is.
Re: What can one do abut outlook.com? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 18:29:48 +1100
AK wrote:

> On 26/10/20 5:17 am, Marc Roos wrote:
> >> make a reality check outside your small bubble!
> > typical low iq response. I was already discussing the validity of
> > these soccerplayer contracts before they had to change the system.

> Just thought I'd let you know this same person was blocked from
> CentOS mailing list a while back due to trolling.  I'm not sure the
> chemicals deep in his noggin work as they are supposed to.  On the
> CentOS mailing list, we stopped feeding the troll and I,
> specifically, made sure that I'd never again see an email from his
> likes.  I wonder if the SpamAssassin admins could just as well stop
> feeding the troll here as well.

AFAIK they did that years ago, I don't receive anything through the
list.

However on this one I agree with him (assuming he's objecting to
blocking Outlook). And unlike most people on this list he has end-users
who are paying for email and can vote with their feet if he cuts
corners.

Anyone who filters their own email can do what they like, but if an
admin blocked my mail from outlook, I'd assume some combination of
laziness and incompetence was behind it.
RE: What can one do abut outlook.com? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the update! Although I am not really an advocate for blocking
people.