appended which leads me to believe that maybe spamassassin is ignoring
local mail.

Could that be the case?
Re: Spamassassin not triggering on LMTP mail [ In reply to ]
> I send mail to spamc using both
>
> smtpd_milters=unix:/spamass/spamass.sock,
> unix:/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.sock
>
> and non-smtp mail with
>
> non_smtpd_milters=unix:/spamass/spamass.sock,
> unix:/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.sock
>
> in my postfix config. Now local mail, the 'non_smtpd_milter'
> directive, doesn't work for me. The people on the postfix mailinglist
> suspected this to be a spamassassin issue. What I see is that there
> are no headers at all appended to mails coming from the localhost
> (i.e. mails from a contact form running on a website on the same
> server). The DKIM headers, that are appended through the same
> non_smtpd miltering however, are appended which leads me to believe
> that maybe spamassassin is ignoring local mail.
>
> Could that be the case?

Sorry, already found out. I use spamass-milter
(https://linux.die.net/man/1/spamass-milter) which, out of the box,
doesn't offer mails from 127.0.0.1 to spamassassin at all.
Re: Spamassassin not triggering on LMTP mail [ In reply to ]
> Am 05.08.20 um 11:19 schrieb Guido Goluke, MajorLabel:
>>> I send mail to spamc using both
>>>
>>> smtpd_milters=unix:/spamass/spamass.sock,
>>> unix:/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.sock
>>>
>>> and non-smtp mail with
>>>
>>> non_smtpd_milters=unix:/spamass/spamass.sock,
>>> unix:/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.sock
>>>
>>> in my postfix config. Now local mail, the 'non_smtpd_milter'
>>> directive, doesn't work for me. The people on the postfix mailinglist
>>> suspected this to be a spamassassin issue. What I see is that there
>>> are no headers at all appended to mails coming from the localhost
>>> (i.e. mails from a contact form running on a website on the same
>>> server). The DKIM headers, that are appended through the same
>>> non_smtpd miltering however, are appended which leads me to believe
>>> that maybe spamassassin is ignoring local mail.
>>>
>>> Could that be the case?
>>>
>> Sorry, already found out. I use spamass-milter
>> (https://linux.die.net/man/1/spamass-milter) which, out of the box,
>> doesn't offer mails from 127.0.0.1 to spamassassin at all.
> what do you gain at that level from a milter?
>
> you can't reject without becoming a backscatter and making the problem
> bigger for the world after you received a message on the MX
>
> don't accept junk at all instead deal with it later

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by 'backscatter' or 'making the
problem bigger for the world'. The intention is as follows: Contact
forms get a lot of bots filling them. You can setup a Google captcha for
this, but that would bring Google into your site, training their
selfdriving cars for free, stealing your privacy and annoying a
legitimate user with random bicycle pictures.

So I setup a 'catch' e-mail address that the contactform sends its mail
to. That e-mail address has a VERY low max spamscore attached, as to not
set the score too low for the regular e-mail address. The only further
thing the contact-catch address does it send every e-mail right over to
the regular e-mail address, except for the spam-flagged ones since they
never make it to sieve (that does the forwarding) because they are first
put into the spamfolder right away.

Problem is the mail scores really low, probably because its local?
Re: Spamassassin not triggering on LMTP mail [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020, Guido Goluke, MajorLabel wrote:

> Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by 'backscatter' or 'making the problem
> bigger for the world'.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=email+backscatter

This is a lame apocalypse. No zombies, and
the slow spiral to destruction has taken so long,
I think some people lost interest. -- STS
Tomorrow: the 75th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing
Re: Spamassassin not triggering on LMTP mail [ In reply to ]
On 8/5/20 3:19 AM, Guido Goluke, MajorLabel wrote:
> Sorry, already found out. I use spamass-milter
> (https://linux.die.net/man/1/spamass-milter) which, out of the box,
> doesn't offer mails from 127.0.0.1 to spamassassin at all.

Can you re-configure spamass-milter to offer mail from 127.0.0.1 to
spamassassin?

Alternatively, add an additional IP address to loopback (or compaable
local / dummy) interface and reconfigure your web client to send using
that IP.

As others have pointed out, you want to NOT reject (bounce) messages
/after/ you have accepted them.

Though there is value in filtering messages and changing subsequent
processing / routing based on spam scores.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die