Mailing List Archive

SA (and other) filtering in delivery chain (was Re: Subject Tag)
Geoff Dyment wrote:
> [...]
> Anyways, if you use postfix, and can tell me how to add Subject
tags,
> I will. I followed the spamfilter manual on the SA site for
making a
> postfix/amavisd MTA:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/scottlhenderson/spamfilter.html
>
> There is no procmail in the setup that I can see?
> [...]

It's worth pointing out that this site explains setting up postfix
with spamassassin and amavis as a front-end to Exchange, WITHOUT
local delivery. I believe this is what Geoff is doing, so there's
not (at present) any procmail interaction.

My understanding is that there easily COULD be however.

> Ok, so put the tag at the end then...?

Or better -- give everyone what they want and get procmail in the
delivery chain!

> I know that I'm not the only mail novice on the list that has no
idea
> how to mangle headers in transit to add/remove header/tags.

Not a big deal. Now that we've narrowed down the problem, it
should be doable. This is probably not the best list for
procmail/postfix issues, but I think the issue of adding/enhancing
filtering in the delivery chain is on-topic.

> [...] But I'll keep all my mail in an
> unsorted mess to save those 3 characters in your 40 char subject
> field.

Nah, we just need to work around the problem. Apparently
lack/presence of tags is a problem for some, so rather than impose
one answer on everybody, I prefer the idea of EXTENDING
capabilities for all. I think getting procmail (or similar) in
your delivery chain will give us all EXACTLY what we want... down
to exactly how the tags should look, plus enhanced capabilities.

- Bob