probably shouldn't be using.
I don't want to experiment any more than necessary on my mail server so perhaps someone can confirm whether I need this module for my virtual mail users.

Neil.
Re: AuthCourier.pm [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 09:14:36 +0100
Neil Romig wrote:

> Does anyone know the status of AuthCourier.pm in Spamassassin?
> I have installed spamassassin and followed advice at
> http://da.andaka.org/Doku/courier-spamassassin.html but on reporting
> a bug (#7829) to Spamassassin was informed it was an "ancient" module
> I probably shouldn't be using.

You probably just need to set --virtual-config-dir=pattern as an
argument to spamd - see the spamd documentation for how to set the
pattern.

Unless courier implements virtual home directories in a really obtuse
way, that article was already a year out of date when it was written in
2004.
Re: AuthCourier.pm [ In reply to ]
On 20 Jun 2020, at 4:14, Neil Romig wrote:

> Does anyone know the status of AuthCourier.pm in Spamassassin?

It *NEVER* has been in any way an official part of the SpamAssassin
project. I can find no evidence of it being updated since 2003. If you
have kept SpamAssassin updated since then without reproducing the manual
adaptations needed to use AuthCourier.pm, you are almost certainly no
longer using in any meaningful way.

In general, the supported interface between SpamAssassin and 3rd-party
modules has changed so much in the past 17 years that I would not expect
AuthCourier.pm to function correctly. In addition, as you reported in
bug 7829, Perl itself has advanced in that time to the point where
relatively immature modules which worked then (e.g. with Perl 5.8.x) can
be expected to fail today with any recent version of Perl.

> I have installed spamassassin and followed advice at
> http://da.andaka.org/Doku/courier-spamassassin.html but on reporting a
> bug (#7829) to Spamassassin was informed it was an "ancient" module I
> probably shouldn't be using.
> I don't want to experiment any more than necessary on my mail server
> so perhaps someone can confirm whether I need this module for my
> virtual mail users.

You probably do not need it, since there is now direct support for
virtual users in the spamd component of SpamAssassin. I suspect that the
reason AuthCourier.pm was not maintained is that it became superfluous,
however others would need to confirm that, as I do not use that
functionality.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire
Re: AuthCourier.pm [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2020-06-20 at 12:23 -0400, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 20 Jun 2020, at 4:14, Neil Romig wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know the status of AuthCourier.pm in Spamassassin?
>
> It *NEVER* has been in any way an official part of the SpamAssassin
> project. I can find no evidence of it being updated since 2003. If you
> have kept SpamAssassin updated since then without reproducing the manual
> adaptations needed to use AuthCourier.pm, you are almost certainly no
> longer using in any meaningful way.
>
> In general, the supported interface between SpamAssassin and 3rd-party
> modules has changed so much in the past 17 years that I would not expect
> AuthCourier.pm to function correctly. In addition, as you reported in
> bug 7829, Perl itself has advanced in that time to the point where
> relatively immature modules which worked then (e.g. with Perl 5.8.x) can
> be expected to fail today with any recent version of Perl.
>
> > I have installed spamassassin and followed advice at
> > http://da.andaka.org/Doku/courier-spamassassin.html
> > but on reporting a
> > bug (#7829) to Spamassassin was informed it was an "ancient" module I
> > probably shouldn't be using.
> > I don't want to experiment any more than necessary on my mail server
> > so perhaps someone can confirm whether I need this module for my
> > virtual mail users.
>
> You probably do not need it, since there is now direct support for
> virtual users in the spamd component of SpamAssassin. I suspect that the
> reason AuthCourier.pm was not maintained is that it became superfluous,
> however others would need to confirm that, as I do not use that
> functionality.

Thanks for the help. Being new to Spamassassin I am trying to get my head around all the docs and was looking for a quick Howto.

Most of my online searches result in links to the outdated guidance - even on Spamassassin wiki at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPAMASSASSIN/IntegratedInCourierUsingMaildrop.

I have adjusted my config as suggested with --virtual-config-dir rather than using AuthCourier.pm

Regards,

Neil.