Date: 8 May 2020 19:58:49 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@apache.org
To: users-return-122007-@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: failure notice

Which is useless. I also cannot find where the list was every denied in the
logs.
This time I went ahead and the email that would retrieve the messages that
had bounced and I have every single one of them already... Every singled
one.

What is up with that?

Rick
Re: Bounced messages [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 May 2020 07:43:14 -0400
"Rick Cooper" <rcooper@dwford.com> wrote:

> I occasionally get emails warning me of bounced mail, this one
> doesn't go through we will send a probe, yada, yada.
>
> They say they include the bounce message but they always look like
> this: --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

> Date: 8 May 2020 19:58:49 -0000
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@apache.org
> To: users-return-122007-@spamassassin.apache.org
> Subject: failure notice
>
> Which is useless. I also cannot find where the list was every denied
> in the logs.
> This time I went ahead and the email that would retrieve the messages
> that had bounced and I have every single one of them already... Every
> singled one.
>
> What is up with that?

I have seen this from time to time on several mailing lists.

Normally, it is caused by your mailserver rejecting a malformed mail
that has been sent to the list - the list software has accepted it and
not corrected its "non-compliance" - hence your mailserver bounces it.

If you do ever find out about the mail in question, it is usually (*)
spam.

Unfortunately:

(a) certain mailing list software is set up so that it can send on
malformed mail it could in theory reject or put right. I am of the
opinion this is wrong.
(b) certain mailservers (including mine, of my own volition) are
configured to reject such malformed mail on the grounds that it is
usually spam. I am of the opinion this is right.
(c) the mailing list software treats this as a bounce, without treating
the reason as special and letting it simply pass. I am of the
opinion this is wrong.

(*) usually = at least 995 per mil.

I am happy to read anyone else's opinions on the three points above, of
course.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-spamassassin@tinsleyviaduct.com
Re: Bounced messages [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 20 May 2020 13:09:14 +0100
Phil Reynolds wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2020 07:43:14 -0400
> "Rick Cooper" <rcooper@dwford.com> wrote:

> > This time I went ahead and the email that would retrieve the
> > messages that had bounced and I have every single one of them
> > already... Every singled one.
> >
> > What is up with that?
>
> I have seen this from time to time on several mailing lists.
>
> Normally, it is caused by your mailserver rejecting a malformed mail
> that has been sent to the list

The OP said that were received.

I've seen this on the getmail list and, like the OP, when I requested
they be resent I got duplicates.
RE: Bounced messages [ In reply to ]
Phil Reynolds wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2020 07:43:14 -0400
> "Rick Cooper" <rcooper@dwford.com> wrote:
>
>> I occasionally get emails warning me of bounced mail, this one
>> doesn't go through we will send a probe, yada, yada.
>>
>> They say they include the bounce message but they always look like
>> this: --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

>> Date: 8 May 2020 19:58:49 -0000
>> From: MAILER-DAEMON@apache.org
>> To: users-return-122007-@spamassassin.apache.org
>> Subject: failure notice
>>
>> Which is useless. I also cannot find where the list was every denied
>> in the logs. This time I went ahead and the email that would
>> retrieve the messages that had bounced and I have every single one
>> of them already... Every singled one.
>>
>> What is up with that?
>
> I have seen this from time to time on several mailing lists.
>
> Normally, it is caused by your mailserver rejecting a malformed mail
> that has been sent to the list - the list software has accepted it and
> not corrected its "non-compliance" - hence your mailserver bounces it.

No I would see the reject in the mail logs, and when I requested the bounced
messages I had already received all of them. So that was why I wondered why
the list server was saying they bounced without a denial and after having
had them delivered to my box.

Re: Bounced messages [ In reply to ]
If you can send me more information off-list, I will ask Infra to look into
this.
--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation