Mailing List Archive

Occasional rejections.
I get occasional mails like this:

> On 24 Apr 2020, at 18:33, users-help@spamassassin.apache.org wrote:

> users@spamassassin.apache.org mailing list.

Etc.

> Date: 14 Apr 2020 19:22:46 -0000
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@apache.org
> To: users-return-121942-@spamassassin.apache.org
> Subject: failure notice

So, this is weird because I do not use qmail and when I check my mail logs for 14 Apr 13:22:46 (I am -0600) there is nothing there at all.

So I assume the bounce is being caused by apache.org and not my server.

Since I cannot track this down at all on my end, what am I supposed to doppelgänger’s about these bounces.

(I haven’t in this case, but in previous cases who I have requested the missing post, I get duplicates).

The 10 day delay is great, as it makes searching the logs much more difficult.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"We think so, Brain! But dressing like twins is so tacky.”
Re: Occasional rejections. [ In reply to ]
@lbutlr wrote:
> I get occasional mails like this:
>
>> On 24 Apr 2020, at 18:33, users-help@spamassassin.apache.org wrote:
>>
>> Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
>> users@spamassassin.apache.org mailing list.
>
> Etc.

What you do depends on the "Etc." bit.

IIRC this is usually something along the lines of "Messages to you seem
to have been bouncing. If <n> bounces are received over <m> timeframe,
your subscription may be paused. If <n+p> bounces are received, you may
be automatically unsubscribed.". (It's been a while since I've seen one
live.)

There may be other reasons for the list manager to send you a note like
this, but only the Apache infra team or you can tell us what's in these.

> ...supposed to doppelgänger’s about these bounces.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Autocorrect seems to have been having a particularly special day for
you. <g>

> (I haven’t in this case, but in previous cases who I have requested the missing post, I get duplicates).
>
> The 10 day delay is great, as it makes searching the logs much more difficult.

Most systems I work with keep logs for at least a couple of months.
[z]grep |grep |grep |grep seems to work fine for me...

-kgd
Re: Occasional rejections. [ In reply to ]
> On 28 Apr 2020, at 12:06, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>

> Am 28.04.20 um 20:01 schrieb @lbutlr:

>>> cool that you strp the relevant content with
>>
>> The only thing I stripped was the remaining boilerplate of the bounce. Nothing relevant at all, but here it is.

>>> what else when it's coming from users-help@spamassassin.apache.org?
>>>
>>> messages of yiu where rejected, most likely because quting high score
>>> spam, it's that easy
>>

>> That is exactly the opposite of what the message claims as it says message TO me are bouncing and I can retrieve the bounced ones. I take it you’ve never gotten one of these?
>
> i have and i can read and understand
>
> what it says is that *your server rejected* list messages for whatever
> reason

And my server did not. That is the issue.

> and yes, "bounce" is a wrong wording
>
>> So message TO me are bouncing without involving my mail server
>
> no, *your* server rejects list messages, most likely ones with quoted or
> attached spam stuff

There is no such rejection in my logs. That is the entire point of my original post:

> when I check my mail logs for 14 Apr 13:22:46 (I am -0600) there is nothing there at all.

And later:

--
I said pretend you've got no money, she just laughed and said, 'Eh
you're so funny.' I said, 'Yeah? Well I can't see anyone else