Mailing List Archive

SpamAssassin Milter – Milte r for spam filtering with SpamAssassin
Hello,

I have created a new milter implementation for SpamAssassin, firstly for
my own purposes but perhaps some of you might be interested, too.

https://gitlab.com/glts/spamassassin-milter

SpamAssassin Milter is a milter application that filters email
through SpamAssassin server using the spamc client. It is a
light-weight component that serves to integrate Apache SpamAssassin
with a milter-capable MTA (mail server) such as Postfix.

I used to be a user of an alternative milter, spamass-milt, but due to
some minor complaints I had with it (including the age and quality of
the code, and lack of tests), I decided to do it over.

Compared with spamass-milt, this new milter has a reduced feature set
– for now. On the other hand, it makes use of milter features such as
automatic macro negotiation, skipping large messages, or preserving
header whitespace exactly as-is. It is not a clone of spamass-milt,
rather a more minimal incarnation, so expect some functional
differences.

Thank you for reading.

--
David
Re: SpamAssassin Milter – Milter for spam filtering with SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
On 09 Mar 2020, at 10:43, David Bürgin <dbuergin@gluet.ch> wrote:
> I used to be a user of an alternative milter, spamass-milt,

Do you mean spamass-milter or is this another filter for SA I don’t know?

--
"Alas, earwax.”
Re: SpamAssassin Milter – Milter for spam filtering with SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
@lbutlr:
> On 09 Mar 2020, at 10:43, David Bürgin <dbuergin@gluet.ch> wrote:
>> I used to be a user of an alternative milter, spamass-milt,
>
> Do you mean spamass-milter or is this another filter for SA I don’t know?

Oh yes, it’s named ‘spamass-milt’ on its homepage
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/spamass-milt, but ‘spamass-milter’
is perhaps its proper name.
Re: SpamAssassin Milter – Mi lter for spam filtering with SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
On 09.03.20 17:43, David Bürgin wrote:
>I have created a new milter implementation for SpamAssassin, firstly for
>my own purposes but perhaps some of you might be interested, too.
>
> https://gitlab.com/glts/spamassassin-milter
>
> SpamAssassin Milter is a milter application that filters email
> through SpamAssassin server using the spamc client. It is a
> light-weight component that serves to integrate Apache SpamAssassin
> with a milter-capable MTA (mail server) such as Postfix.
>
>I used to be a user of an alternative milter, spamass-milt, but due to
>some minor complaints I had with it (including the age and quality of
>the code, and lack of tests), I decided to do it over.

rewrite from scratch?

>Compared with spamass-milt, this new milter has a reduced feature set
>– for now. On the other hand, it makes use of milter features such as
>automatic macro negotiation, skipping large messages, or preserving
>header whitespace exactly as-is. It is not a clone of spamass-milt,
>rather a more minimal incarnation, so expect some functional
>differences.

what I miss in spamass-milter is:
- preserving more X-Spam-* headers
- defining fallback user rather than nobody
(-u defaultuser is only used with multiple recipients)
- mapping e-mail addresses to local users on non-sendmail systems
(sendmail -bv on postfix sends mail insteand of returning local user)

M$ Win's are shit, do not use it !
Re: SpamAssassin Milter – Milter for spam filtering with SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:11:22 +0100
Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> >I used to be a user of an alternative milter, spamass-milt, but due
> >to some minor complaints I had with it (including the age and
> >quality of the code, and lack of tests), I decided to do it over.
>
> rewrite from scratch?

It's written in Rust, so presumably.
Re: SpamAssassin Milter – Mi lter for spam filtering with SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> rewrite from scratch?

It is, one of those infamous RIIR (rewrite it in Rust) projects …

> what I miss in spamass-milter is:
> - preserving more X-Spam-* headers

The new milter adds all ‘X-Spam-’ headers received from spamd, if that’s
what you had in mind.

> - defining fallback user rather than nobody
> (-u defaultuser is only used with multiple recipients)
> - mapping e-mail addresses to local users on non-sendmail systems
> (sendmail -bv on postfix sends mail insteand of returning local user)

There is an open issue about the first one, but as I don’t myself use
these features, no such thing is implemented yet.

Currently the new milter is really rather minimalist. I’m happy with it,
but power users of spamass-milter might be disappointed. If you’re
interested, please try it out and give feedback on the issue tracker.