Mailing List Archive

Question on early detection for relay spam
I know this is probably off topic but I'm getting desperate enough to ask.

I run a commercial mailserver that regularly seems to have spammers
relay mail through it that have obtained stolen credentials for a user.
Many years ago I stopped allowing users to change passwords on it and
I setup passwords for all users added to it, and the passwords are
random strings of 8 characters or more.

The problem is of course that since the passwords are difficult to
remember, once the users do remember them they merrily proceed to use
this "highly secure password that I can now remember" on every stupid
website out on the Internet that they care to login to. The problem
isn't really the people using Thunderbird or Outlook or their cell
phones or whatever, because they save the password in the email client
and then immediately forget it, which is what I want. It is the people
who use the webmail interface on multiple different systems, kiosk
computers and the like, who are the problem. When hosts out on the
Internet get busted into, the spammers get their passwords and
email addresses and start relaying. I've confirmed this with several
users I've called and it's always the same story.

By the time I see what's going on the server is blacklisted everywhere
and I have to waste time delisting it, and asskissing all of the
little tiny blacklists run by little pricks who want me to pay money
or wait a month to be delisted, etc. (no I'm NOT talking about
spamcop, or barracuda or anyone professional - THEY know what they are
doing and don't look at this as a chance for a shakedown)

I estimate that last year this happened around 5 times and I just
lost an afternoon today answering the passle of help requests from
users because it happened again.

What I am wondering is how to tighten up my monitoring on my servers to
more rapidly identify when this starts happening. What I'm doing now is
a kludge but I run mailq (this is a sendmail system) and when I see the
number of pending mail mesages in there exceed a threshold I send an
alert to my cell. It is a kludge and the problem is that
the mailq doesn't start filling up until my server gets blacklisted.

I've considered several ideas like running a script out of cron that
checks the number of authid's per hour but all of these seem like even
worse kludges. The only idea that I have come up with that I really
like is taking an AK-47 to the spammers but unfortunately spammers
know that they are unloved and cowardly hide away in Russia and scummier
places and I can't reach 'em. (maybe I could offer a bounty? A nickle
a head? That would pay for the bullet at least. I don't think those
people are worth even that, though)

I do run a daily sendmail statistics report but by the time I read that
and see the bump in traffic it's too late.

What do other people do for this problem?

Ted
Re: Question on early detection for relay spam [ In reply to ]
Ted Mittelstaedt skrev den 2020-03-03 08:26:

> What do other people do for this problem?

https://www.abusix.com/abusix-mail-intelligence

what more do you want to do ?

my own servers reject all clients not in danish ip space unless its sasl
authed

strong leaked passwords does not help much

hope to see 2fa auth login to dovecot not only dovecot pro ox

as it is now we all have already loosed
RE: Question on early detection for relay spam [ In reply to ]
>I know this is probably off topic but I'm getting desperate enough to
ask.

No problem I would say, it is good exchange thoughts and idea's

>I run a commercial mailserver that regularly seems to have spammers
>relay mail through it that have obtained stolen credentials for a
user.
> Many years ago I stopped allowing users to change passwords on it
and
>I setup passwords for all users added to it, and the passwords are
>random strings of 8 characters or more.
>
>The problem is of course that since the passwords are difficult to
>remember, once the users do remember them they merrily proceed to use
>this "highly secure password that I can now remember" on every stupid
>website out on the Internet that they care to login to. The problem
>isn't really the people using Thunderbird or Outlook or their cell
>phones or whatever, because they save the password in the email client

>and then immediately forget it, which is what I want. It is the
people
>who use the webmail interface on multiple different systems, kiosk
>computers and the like, who are the problem. When hosts out on the
>Internet get busted into, the spammers get their passwords and
>email addresses and start relaying. I've confirmed this with several
>users I've called and it's always the same story.

Strange your webmail should be on https then it is difficult to catch
passwords. I do not have this at al, that peoples passwords get stolen.
Hardly ever. So maybe somewhere something is wrong in your setup. Maybe
spammers get access via a remote exploit?
I do not think this is a common problem.

>By the time I see what's going on the server is blacklisted everywhere
>and I have to waste time delisting it, and asskissing all of the
>little tiny blacklists run by little pricks who want me to pay money
>or wait a month to be delisted, etc. (no I'm NOT talking about
>spamcop, or barracuda or anyone professional - THEY know what they are
>doing and don't look at this as a chance for a shakedown)

Please remember, that you are causing work for these companies. Someone
is complaining. And someone is adding your ip to the blacklist.
They get harassed why the shit is getting through their spam filters.
I would also ask amazon to pay me a few thousands for wasting my time
constantly.

>I estimate that last year this happened around 5 times and I just
>lost an afternoon today answering the passle of help requests from
>users because it happened again.
>
>What I am wondering is how to tighten up my monitoring on my servers
>more rapidly identify when this starts happening. What I'm doing now
is
>a kludge but I run mailq (this is a sendmail system) and when I see
the
>number of pending mail mesages in there exceed a threshold I send an
>alert to my cell. It is a kludge and the problem is that
>the mailq doesn't start filling up until my server gets blacklisted.

Sendmail has a nice filter that rate limits a user. I was always
thinking
of implementing this, when I run into a situation as yours.

>I've considered several ideas like running a script out of cron that
>checks the number of authid's per hour but all of these seem like even
>worse kludges. The only idea that I have come up with that I really
>like is taking an AK-47 to the spammers but unfortunately spammers
>know that they are unloved and cowardly hide away in Russia and
scummier
>places and I can't reach 'em. (maybe I could offer a bounty? A
nickle
>a head? That would pay for the bullet at least. I don't think those
>people are worth even that, though)
>
>I do run a daily sendmail statistics report but by the time I read
that
>and see the bump in traffic it's too late.
>
>What do other people do for this problem?

Things you should consider:
- investigate what clients mostly have these problems. Give them a
sperate
outgoing server. This way when it happens again not everyone's email is
blocked.
ps. When I get spam I put the whole /24 range on the blacklist. So maybe
get ip's in different ranges.

- filter your logs of the last year that have outgoing spam. You wil see
same ip ranges. Put all of them on your outgoing mailservers dns
blacklist
so they cannot connect.

- google for outgoing milters. You get blacklisted on the bigger rbl's
after sending a lot of spam. A user is not sending 100 emails a day.

Good luck, fighting these spammers!!!
Re: Question on early detection for relay spam [ In reply to ]
On 03/03/20 08:54, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt skrev den 2020-03-03 08:26:
>
>> What do other people do for this problem?
Hi Ted,

<vendor>

What I can suggest you is to look at our DQS product
(https://www.spamhaustech.com/dqs/), that even in it's free subscription
model includes AuthBL, a list made of botnet's known to be used to spam
with abused credentials. A simple 5xx if a client connect to your
submission port using a listed IP would take care of *most* of your
problems.

</vendor>

After that, just running a daily report with a table like:

sasl_username - number of different ips observed in the latest 24h.

Can help you find out abused credentials that were being used by bots
(still) not in AuthBL.

I've observed in the field that this is an approach that works when you
have up to 20-30k users; after this threshold you may want to write
something to automate warnings and/or automatically block accounts if
they exceed a defined threshold of (different_ips per sasl_username) per
hour.

--
Best regards,
Riccardo Alfieri

Spamhaus Technology
https://www.spamhaustech.com/
Re: Question on early detection for relay spam [ In reply to ]
Riccardo Alfieri skrev den 2020-03-03 14:53:

> sasl_username - number of different ips observed in the latest 24h.

i have limited so that i only allow sasl auth from trusted custommers
ips, all else is firewalled witd default policy of drop, and clients ips
is so just still logged if ports is something could be untrusted ips
range i still need to open as trusted range, this have limited my own
problem with strong passwords that got leaked
Re: Question on early detection for relay spam [ In reply to ]