--
rickygm

http://gnuforever.homelinux.com
Re: rpm of centos [ In reply to ]
On Jan 9, 2020, at 6:59 PM, Rick Gutierrez <xserverlinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, someone from the list who can share the rpm of the
> latest version of spamassassin for centos 7 and 6 of x64, I want to
> update to the latest version and I can't find the rpm.

SA 3.4.2 is available for Fedora, and you can build it from the SRPM pretty easily for RHEL/CentOS 7 or 6 with no modifications.

The commands to build from the SRPM are really simple, I can try to dig them up but Google will also have plenty of answers (and it's recommended reading in any case, if you're building from SRPM, so that you know what you're doing). It's pretty much just a call to rpmbuild and then yum.

Cheers.

--- Amir
Re: rpm of centos [ In reply to ]
On 1/9/2020 10:10 PM, Amir Caspi wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2020, at 6:59 PM, Rick Gutierrez <xserverlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone, someone from the list who can share the rpm of the
>> latest version of spamassassin for centos 7 and 6 of x64, I want to
>> update to the latest version and I can't find the rpm.
> SA 3.4.2 is available for Fedora, and you can build it from the SRPM pretty easily for RHEL/CentOS 7 or 6 with no modifications.

Hello,

I just built SA 3.4.3 on Centos8 using the fedora 32 .srpm
spamassassin-3.4.3-2.fc32.src.rpm

First of all, make sure you have a good backup you can revert to, or are
running it on a system that you can trash/snapshot/revert or whatever.

you need the development tools package at a minimum

yum -y groupinstall "Development tools"

make sure you have all the plugins and libraries and tools for your
distro (I haven't done this on Centos6) and choose a srpm from Fedora
32/31/30 that works using

rpmbuild --rebuild spamassassin-3.4.3-2.fc32.src.rpm  (my example on
Centos8)

watch the output of the build process when it is running ./configure as
it will tell you if you are missing any libraries or tools or whatnot it
will be most evident here.  It will build you a RPM if successful you
can upgrade to.

I rebuilt SA3.4.3 on Centos8 because I wanted to continue with SHA-2
signatures and also benefit from 3.4.3 new features and plugins.  As
well, for some reason on the stock Centos8 SA rpm, sa-compile does not
seem to be included and I am a fan of the Rule2XSBody plugin. Maybe
thats old fashioned, I don't know; but Centos/RHEL being so strict on
their versioning, Centos8 is stuck with 3.4.2 forever so I am happily
running 3.4.3 on it.

Best of luck in your build, hope this helps,

Chris
Re: rpm of centos [ In reply to ]
El vie., 10 ene. 2020 a las 9:10, Chris Conn (<cconn@abacom.com>) escribió:

> On 1/9/2020 10:10 PM, Amir Caspi wrote:
> > SA 3.4.2 is available for Fedora, and you can build it from the SRPM pretty easily for RHEL/CentOS 7 or 6 with no modifications.
> >

> Hello,
>
> I just built SA 3.4.3 on Centos8 using the fedora 32 .srpm
> spamassassin-3.4.3-2.fc32.src.rpm
>
> First of all, make sure you have a good backup you can revert to, or are
> running it on a system that you can trash/snapshot/revert or whatever.
>
> you need the development tools package at a minimum
>
> yum -y groupinstall "Development tools"
>
> make sure you have all the plugins and libraries and tools for your
> distro (I haven't done this on Centos6) and choose a srpm from Fedora
> 32/31/30 that works using
>

> rpmbuild --rebuild spamassassin-3.4.3-2.fc32.src.rpm (my example on
> Centos8)
>
> watch the output of the build process when it is running ./configure as
> it will tell you if you are missing any libraries or tools or whatnot it
> will be most evident here. It will build you a RPM if successful you
> can upgrade to.
>

> I rebuilt SA3.4.3 on Centos8 because I wanted to continue with SHA-2
> signatures and also benefit from 3.4.3 new features and plugins. As
> well, for some reason on the stock Centos8 SA rpm, sa-compile does not
> seem to be included and I am a fan of the Rule2XSBody plugin. Maybe
> thats old fashioned, I don't know; but Centos/RHEL being so strict on
> their versioning, Centos8 is stuck with 3.4.2 forever so I am happily
> running 3.4.3 on it.
>
> Best of luck in your build, hope this helps,
>
> Chris

Chris is enough with your explanation, I'm going to do it.

thnk

Re: rpm of centos [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 9 Jan 2020, Amir Caspi wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2020, at 6:59 PM, Rick Gutierrez <xserverlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone, someone from the list who can share the rpm of the
>> latest version of spamassassin for centos 7 and 6 of x64, I want to
>> update to the latest version and I can't find the rpm.
>
> SA 3.4.2 is available for Fedora, and you can build it from the SRPM pretty easily for RHEL/CentOS 7 or 6 with no modifications.

I found one very minor modification was needed: the spec file requires
"perl-interpreter" and that doesn't seem to see the "perl" package
installed under Centos 7. I unpacked the SRPM, changed that dependency,
installed some new dependencies (perl-Test-Simple and some others that
weren't explicit in the earlier SRPMs) and it built without further
problems.

I've installed it on my hosted server and it appears to be working so far.

The RPM is available here, assuming you trust me:

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/centos7/

People that keep dreaming about the wasteland, labyrinths and
quick cash, die in amusing ways. -- Root the Dragon
6 days until Benjamin Franklin's 314th Birthday
Re: rpm of centos [ In reply to ]
El sáb., 11 ene. 2020 a las 12:15, John Hardin (<jhardin@impsec.org>) escribió:

> On Thu, 9 Jan 2020, Amir Caspi wrote:
>
> > On Jan 9, 2020, at 6:59 PM, Rick Gutierrez <xserverlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi everyone, someone from the list who can share the rpm of the
> >> latest version of spamassassin for centos 7 and 6 of x64, I want to
> >> update to the latest version and I can't find the rpm.
> >
> > SA 3.4.2 is available for Fedora, and you can build it from the SRPM pretty easily for RHEL/CentOS 7 or 6 with no modifications.
>
> I found one very minor modification was needed: the spec file requires
> "perl-interpreter" and that doesn't seem to see the "perl" package
> installed under Centos 7. I unpacked the SRPM, changed that dependency,
> installed some new dependencies (perl-Test-Simple and some others that
> weren't explicit in the earlier SRPMs) and it built without further
> problems.
>
> I've installed it on my hosted server and it appears to be working so far.
>
> The RPM is available here, assuming you trust me:
>
> http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/centos7/

I was having that same problem, because fedora src rpm is newer than
centos 7, but thanks for sharing the rpm.

Re: rpm of centos [ In reply to ]
On Jan 11, 2020, at 11:14 AM, John Hardin <jhardin@impsec.org> wrote:

> I found one very minor modification was needed: the spec file requires "perl-interpreter" and that doesn't seem to see the "perl" package installed under Centos 7.

Ah, now I recall why I didn't run into this... I had installed the perl-generators package from EPEL, which installs the dummy perl-interpreter. I don't recall if I installed this myself or if yum picked it up, but either way, installing perl-generators will satisfy that dependency without modifying the spec file.

Not sure about the other dependencies you added (and why those aren't explicit, either, if they're required -- I presume you filed a bugzilla with Fedora to include them for future builds?).

FWIW, the 3.4.4 SRM from Fedora Rawhide builds and installs on my C7 system (which includes perl-generators) without any mods to the spec file.

Cheers.

--- Amir
Re: rpm of centos [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Feb 2020, Amir Caspi wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2020, at 11:14 AM, John Hardin <jhardin@impsec.org> wrote:
>>
>> I found one very minor modification was needed: the spec file requires
>> "perl-interpreter" and that doesn't seem to see the "perl" package
>> installed under Centos 7.
>
> Ah, now I recall why I didn't run into this... I had installed the
> perl-generators package from EPEL, which installs the dummy
> perl-interpreter. I don't recall if I installed this myself or if yum
> picked it up, but either way, installing perl-generators will satisfy
> that dependency without modifying the spec file.

I presumed that the perl packaging had changed a bit between RHEL7 and FC
Rawhide, so I didn't go hunting dependencies down, I just changed it to
depend on the stock perl interpreter package.

> Not sure about the other dependencies you added (and why those aren't
> explicit, either, if they're required -- I presume you filed a bugzilla
> with Fedora to include them for future builds?).

They were explicit package dependencies in the FC Rawhide SpamAssassin
3.4.3 SRPM, sorry if that wasn't clear. They were not in the stock
RHEL7/Centos7 RPM or the FC Rawhide SRPM for 3.4.2, which I had built
earlier.

It's not a big deal, just some new packages to install for the build to
work. I don't think it rises to the level of a bug.

> FWIW, the 3.4.4 SRM from Fedora Rawhide builds and installs on my C7
> system (which includes perl-generators) without any mods to the spec
> file.

Right, that's not surprising given that is just a regular package I didn't
know about.

Are you a mildly tech-literate politico horrified by the level of
ignorance demonstrated by lawmakers gearing up to regulate online
technology they don't even begin to grasp? Cool. Now you have a
tiny glimpse into a day in the life of a gun owner. -- Sean Davis
5 days until Abraham Lincoln's and Charles Darwin's 211th Birthdays
Re: rpm of centos [ In reply to ]
Il 10/01/20 02:59, Rick Gutierrez ha scritto:

> Hi everyone, someone from the list who can share the rpm of the
> latest version of spamassassin for centos 7 and 6 of x64, I want to
> update to the latest version and I can't find the rpm.

Hi,

for CentOS 6 I'm using this repo and works fine:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/kevin/spamassassin-el/

Ciao

--
Alessio Cecchi