I would like to control user preferences through SQL and read the docs,
that stated you should start spamd with the -q option. As a novice that
installed spamassassin through apt in Ubuntu, it's installed as a
systemd service and runs as a postfix milter. Should I just alter the
systemd unit file to alter the startup flags of spamd to make sure I can
connect to SQL?

Thanks in advance,

Guido Goluke
Re: Starting systemd version of spamd with -q option [ In reply to ]
On 8 Jan 2020, at 3:42, Guido Goluke, MajorLabel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to control user preferences through SQL and read the
> docs, that stated you should start spamd with the -q option. As a
> novice that installed spamassassin through apt in Ubuntu, it's
> installed as a systemd service and runs as a postfix milter. Should I
> just alter the systemd unit file to alter the startup flags of spamd
> to make sure I can connect to SQL?

This is distribution-specific, but generally the answer is "no."

On EL-family distributions, there is a config file at
/etc/sysconfig/spamassassin which should be used to modify spamd
options. RedHat has relevant documentation (which also covers related
SELinux issues) at
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/selinux_users_and_administrators_guide/sect-managing_confined_services-postfix-configuration_examples#sect-Managing_Confined_Services-Postfix-Configuration_Examples-SpamAssassin_and_Postfix.
On Debian-based distributions, the startup config is in
/etc/default/spamassassin.

--
Bill Cole
Not For Hire (currently)
Re: Starting systemd version of spamd with -q option [ In reply to ]
On 8 Jan 2020, at 3:42, Guido Goluke, MajorLabel wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to control user preferences through SQL and read the
>> docs, that stated you should start spamd with the -q option. As a
>> novice that installed spamassassin through apt in Ubuntu, it's
>> installed as a systemd service and runs as a postfix milter. Should I
>> just alter the systemd unit file to alter the startup flags of spamd
>> to make sure I can connect to SQL?
> Op 08-01-2020 om 14:44 schreef Bill Cole:
> This is distribution-specific, but generally the answer is "no."
>
> On EL-family distributions, there is a config file at
> /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin which should be used to modify spamd
> options. RedHat has relevant documentation (which also covers related
> SELinux issues) at
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/selinux_users_and_administrators_guide/sect-managing_confined_services-postfix-configuration_examples#sect-Managing_Confined_Services-Postfix-Configuration_Examples-SpamAssassin_and_Postfix.
> On Debian-based distributions, the startup config is in
> /etc/default/spamassassin.

Thanks, exactly what I needed, learned a lot about the systemd settings.