OT: spamassassin & SMS
Hi List

Sorry to post here with this.

Does anyone know if its possible to use Spamassassin for SMS filtering?

The "powers that be" are looking for a spam solution for the SMSC and
asked if SA is an option.

I have advised NO but thought I would ask the list for idea's

Many thanks
Re: OT: spamassassin & SMS [ In reply to ]
On 4/16/2015 3:13 AM, Tom Kinghorn wrote:
> Sorry to post here with this.
>
> Does anyone know if its possible to use Spamassassin for SMS filtering?
>
> The "powers that be" are looking for a spam solution for the SMSC and
> asked if SA is an option.
>
> I have advised NO but thought I would ask the list for idea's
I don't consider it off-topic at all.

SpamAssassin, at it's core, is one of the best classification scoring
frameworks out there. It has been used for a myriad of solutions and
I've personally worked on customizing it for a myriad of web security
solutions.

Now if you are asking if there is a --sms=1 switch, i.e. out of the box
solution, the answer is no. If the question is, can I write some extra
rules, disable a lot of stock rules and start classifying SMS messages
that run through my system, the answer is a definite yes.

If you need help beyond that, feel free to email me off-list as that
question touches on something I've been researching for eons.

Regards,
KAM
Re: OT: spamassassin & SMS [ In reply to ]
On 2015-04-16 06:57, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 4/16/2015 3:13 AM, Tom Kinghorn wrote:
> > Sorry to post here with this.
> >
> > Does anyone know if its possible to use Spamassassin for SMS filtering?
> >
> > The "powers that be" are looking for a spam solution for the SMSC and
> > asked if SA is an option.
> >
> > I have advised NO but thought I would ask the list for idea's
> I don't consider it off-topic at all.
>
> SpamAssassin, at it's core, is one of the best classification scoring
> frameworks out there. It has been used for a myriad of solutions and I've
> personally worked on customizing it for a myriad of web security solutions.
>
> Now if you are asking if there is a --sms=1 switch, i.e. out of the box
> solution, the answer is no. If the question is, can I write some extra
> rules, disable a lot of stock rules and start classifying SMS messages that
> run through my system, the answer is a definite yes.
>
> If you need help beyond that, feel free to email me off-list as that
> question touches on something I've been researching for eons.
>
> Regards,
> KAM

Hi Tom and KAM,

we're going to investigate Spamassassin for SMS filtering in SMSC, and I
wanted to check if you (or others) have made any progress.

URIBL and DCC rules has initially proven successful for us, and planned
so far is an extra rule to check SCCP GT.

Best,
Per.