Mailing List Archive

Apache SpamAssassin Y2K10 Rule Bug - Update Your Rules Now!
I've posted the following note on the Apache SpamAssassin website [1]
about an issue with a rule that may cause wanted email to be classified
as spam by SpamAssassin. If you're running SpamAssassin 3.2.x you are
encouraged to update you rules (updates were released on sa-update
around 1900 UTC Jan 1, 2010).

Y2K10 Rule Bug - Update Your Rules Now!

2010-01-01:

Versions of the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX [2] rule released with versions of
Apache SpamAssassin 3.2.0 thru 3.2.5 will trigger on most mail with a
Date header that includes the year 2010 or later. The rule will add a
score of up to 3.6 towards the spam classification of all email. You
should take corrective action immediately; there are two easy ways to
correct the problem:

1) If your system is configured to use sa-update [3] run sa-update now.
An update is available that will correct the rule. No further action
is necessary (other than restarting spamd or any service that uses
SpamAssassin directly).

2) Add "score FH_DATE_PAST_20XX 0" without the quotes to the end of your
local.cf file to disable the rule. If you require help updating your
rules to correct this issue you are encouraged to ask for assistance on
the Apache SpamAssassin Users' list. Users' mailing list info is here. [4]

On behalf of the Apache SpamAssassin project I apologize for this error
and the grief it may have caused you.

Regards,

Daryl C. W. O'Shea

VP, Apache SpamAssassin