Mailing List Archive

FW: RE: RSYSLOG "Best Practices" & General Questions
From: Stephen Malenshek [mailto:smalenshek@skyline-ats.com]
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 8:55 AM
To: rsyslog at lists.adiscon.com; Rainer Gerhards
Subject: [rsyslog] RE: RSYSLOG "Best Practices" & General Questions

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:05 -0600, Stephen Malenshek wrote:

> I am currently setting up creating a managed service platform from

> various open source products out on the market and I would like to use

> your product as the standard SYSLOG replacement on all our sites. I

> have a couple of questions related to this and would like you provide

> some input on the best ways to achieve specific objectives.

> 1) At the present time, I have started the configuration on the

> "central" server, which will act as the central repository for all

> data from the remote sites. I am configuring it to store all SYSLOG

> data with in the database, but I have followed the recommendations

> made to "buffer" it to a spool first. My question is this, I do not

> want to just write the information to the database, for governmental

> compliance, I need to keep a duplicate copy in "standard" log format

> on the drive, which I will rotate and gzip daily, for long term log

> retention. I have looked around and did not find anything that

> specifically addresses this. It looked like it should able to be

> done, but I am just not sure the best way to accomplish this.

Storing to the database is in no way special. So you can just add as

many other selector lines as you like. For example:

*.* :ommysql*...

*.* /var/log/soxstore

works perfectly. What you need to be aware is that the buffer parameters

($Action...) work on the NEXT action, so you want to have them directly

in front of the action in question.

In my present configuration, I am doing an if/then like the following:

if $source == 'somemachine' \

and $syslogfacility-text == 'authpriv' \

then ?LocalSecure

$template LocalSecure,"/var/log/secure"

With this, how can I define multiple directions within this template?

> 2) At each customer site, there will be a server called a

> "collector" that will accept all SYSLOG related information for that

> site. This server will store a copy of the log files for the local

> network as a repository, but it also needs to send it to the central

> server for processing. My question is whether it will be more

> efficient to write the information directly to the database, or to

> just send it using normal SYSLOG directives, 'I.E. *.* @{IP Address},

> and let the server process and insert like it would local logs?

that's a very good question. I'd say it depends on a lot of factors,

probablky most importantly from the clients ability to talk to the

database directly (this is often impossible due to firewalls). Also, you

may consider where the plain text files need to be written. If they

should be on a central system, I'd opt for moving everything to the

central server and writing it to database and/or text file there.

Please note that UDP (@IP) is a really bad protocol choice. You will

lose a lot of messages and it is definitely not

"compliance-compliant" ;). TCP based syslog is much better but not

ideal, see:

http://rgerhards.blogspot.com/2008/04/on-unreliability-of-plain-tcp-syslog.h
tml

rsyslog's solution is the relp protocol, which prevents message loss.

> 3) Within the scenario listed in question 2, how can I, 1)

> preserve all the original IP addresses of the machines that are

> transmitting information,

If you use rsyslog on the clients, too, this is automatically done for

you.

At each site, there will be a single server tat is aggregating all SYSLOG
data before transmitting it to the central repository. Are you talking
about the machine sending the aggregate information or the hosts, I.E.
router, server, switch, etc., that we will be monitoring?

> and 2) tag that information with a specific account code identifying

> the site that the information was sent from. Within the database, I

> have created a column called "customerid" that I would like to do this

> with. In this, I would like to designate a name or integer like "1"

> for site A, "2" for site B, etc. The reason for this is that I will

> run into situations where multiple customers will have the same IP

> addressing scheme. I figure this could be passed from the site's

> collector as a site identifier, but I am not sure how to accomplish

> this. I think I can accomplish this on the central server, if I have

> to, with a subquery within the insert query to another table to lookup

> this value, but I am looking for a much more "elegant" method.

You should look into template definitions. On the client, create a

template that contains the customer ID somewhere AFTER the tag. Maybe

immediately behind it with the rest of the message being separated by a

comma.

Then, on the server, look into the property replace. Use field-based

extraction to pull out that value and insert it. The property replace is

part of the template system. It's quite powerful, but you need to play a

bit with it.

I need a little more direction on this. I believe I understand, but I want
to make absolutely sure. Could you provide me an example of what would be
within the remote server's config and what the central server config would
look like?

> 4) During the processing of this information, whether it is the

> logs or the database inserts, we need to be able to parse this

> information, attempt to match using defined regular expressions and

> generate an email with the information matched. I saw an example of

> this somewhere, but after looking some, not a lot, I just have not

> found it again. Would you provide me with a few examples of efficient

> ways to accomplish this.?

I have none at hand, but the http://wiki.rsyslog.com probably has some.

If not, post one or two actual cases and I'll create a few samples of

property replacer statenets. You friend is this doc page:

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-property_replacer.html

I want to look for things like the following:

Apr 28 07:31:28 centralca01 kernel: audit(1209393088.758:15174): user
pid=9509 uid=0 auid=0 msg='PAM: authentication acct="root" :
exe="/usr/sbin/sshd" (hostname=XXXXXXXXXXX, addr=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX,
terminal=ssh res=success)'

With this, I want to be notified with the host information, address, etc.
via e-mail if someone logs into a particular host as "root".

> 5) Lastly, I am going to strongly recommend to all our clients use

> the products related to SYSLOG from Adiscon for us to be able to

> process information within this environment for Windows based

> machines. I would like to use the same table that is used for storage

> of the rest of SYSLOG data, and I have the associated columns already

> built. I just want to make sure that what I setup now will be

> completely compatible and able to process NT Event Log information.

The schema that comes with rsyslog is the "MonitorWare schema", which is

the same for the commercial softwares too.

I also suggest to have a look at the recently announced

http://www.phplogcon.org. As part of phpLogCon, we will define a special

Windows Event Format (based on our existing techology) that will be

understood by phpLogCon. I will make sure it is documented, so that you

can also subparse it. phpLogCon (also GPLv3) will contain the parser in

php, so you should be quite easy be able to adopt it.

I have taken a good look at it and will integrate it within our
administration interface. It looks like an excellent product and will save
me a lot of code to write.

> Once again, thanks for your time and look forward to hearing your

> thoughts related to this implementation. I have used SYSLOG-NG for

> years and found that it was great in some respects, but disappointing

> being able to do storage to MySQL. You have a great product here.

thanks, appreciated. Our long-term vision specifically includes

compliance, so I would be most interested in any requirement you have.

For example, I am currently implementing TLS, first for plain tcp

syslog, then for RELP. Digital message signatures are also on my list.

So any ideas/actual requirements are most welcome and I will happily

work together with you to get things done. My vision is *much* broader

than syslog-ng (at least as far as I know that project).

Rainer
FW: RE: RSYSLOG "Best Practices" & General Questions [ In reply to ]

I do not fully get you - do you mean how to write to different files
based on some message property? If so, you can use the property replacer
to do so:

$template LocalSecure,"/var/log/%HOSTNAME%/secure"

> > 2) At each customer site, there will be a server called a
>
> > "collector" that will accept all SYSLOG related information for that
>
> > site. This server will store a copy of the log files for the local
>
> > network as a repository, but it also needs to send it to the central
>
> > server for processing. My question is whether it will be more
>
> > efficient to write the information directly to the database, or to
>
> > just send it using normal SYSLOG directives, 'I.E. *.*
> @{IP Address},
>
> > and let the server process and insert like it would local logs?
>

> that's a very good question. I'd say it depends on a lot of factors,
>
> probablky most importantly from the clients ability to talk to the
>
> database directly (this is often impossible due to
> firewalls). Also, you
>
> may consider where the plain text files need to be written. If they
>
> should be on a central system, I'd opt for moving everything to the
>
> central server and writing it to database and/or text file there.
>

> Please note that UDP (@IP) is a really bad protocol choice. You will
>
> lose a lot of messages and it is definitely not
>
> "compliance-compliant" ;). TCP based syslog is much better but not
>
> ideal, see:
>

> http://rgerhards.blogspot.com/2008/04/on-unreliability-of-plai
n-tcp-syslog.h
> tml
>

> rsyslog's solution is the relp protocol, which prevents message loss.
>

> > 3) Within the scenario listed in question 2, how can I, 1)
>
> > preserve all the original IP addresses of the machines that are
>
> > transmitting information,
>

> If you use rsyslog on the clients, too, this is automatically done for
>
> you.
>

> At each site, there will be a single server tat is
> aggregating all SYSLOG
> data before transmitting it to the central repository. Are
> you talking
> about the machine sending the aggregate information or the hosts, I.E.
> router, server, switch, etc., that we will be monitoring?

Ah, ok. The host is taken from the message, and as such depends on the
system that formatted it. You can define a template to consistently
define the hostname on the relay. However, that requires that no further
relay is between the aggregator and the original senders.

> > and 2) tag that information with a specific account code
> identifying
>
> > the site that the information was sent from. Within the database, I
>
> > have created a column called "customerid" that I would like
> to do this
>
> > with. In this, I would like to designate a name or integer like "1"
>
> > for site A, "2" for site B, etc. The reason for this is that I will
>
> > run into situations where multiple customers will have the same IP
>
> > addressing scheme. I figure this could be passed from the site's
>
> > collector as a site identifier, but I am not sure how to accomplish
>
> > this. I think I can accomplish this on the central server,
> if I have
>
> > to, with a subquery within the insert query to another
> table to lookup
>
> > this value, but I am looking for a much more "elegant" method.
>

> You should look into template definitions. On the client, create a
>
> template that contains the customer ID somewhere AFTER the tag. Maybe
>
> immediately behind it with the rest of the message being
> separated by a
>
> comma.
>

> Then, on the server, look into the property replace. Use field-based
>
> extraction to pull out that value and insert it. The property
> replace is
>
> part of the template system. It's quite powerful, but you
> need to play a
>
> bit with it.
>

> I need a little more direction on this. I believe I
> understand, but I want
> to make absolutely sure. Could you provide me an example of
> what would be
> within the remote server's config and what the central server
> config would
> look like?

I can't do a lab right now (sorry, busy), but you can try along these
lines. On the server's config, use a template along those lines:

$template tpl,"%TIMESTAMP% %HOSTNAME%
%syslogtag%<sitename>,%msg:::drop-last-lf%\n"

Where sitename is to be replaced by a site name (e.g. 1, SiteA ...).

On the central server, you can extract that field inside a template by
such a property specification:

%msg:F,44:1%

Again, all of this is untested but should either work or is pretty close
to working ;)

> > 4) During the processing of this information, whether it is the
>
> > logs or the database inserts, we need to be able to parse this
>
> > information, attempt to match using defined regular expressions and
>
> > generate an email with the information matched. I saw an example of
>
> > this somewhere, but after looking some, not a lot, I just have not
>
> > found it again. Would you provide me with a few examples
> of efficient
>
> > ways to accomplish this.?
>

> I have none at hand, but the http://wiki.rsyslog.com probably
> has some.
>
> If not, post one or two actual cases and I'll create a few samples of
>
> property replacer statenets. You friend is this doc page:
>

> http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-property_replacer.html
>

> I want to look for things like the following:
>

> Apr 28 07:31:28 centralca01 kernel: audit(1209393088.758:15174): user
> pid=9509 uid=0 auid=0 msg='PAM: authentication acct="root" :
> exe="/usr/sbin/sshd" (hostname=XXXXXXXXXXX, addr=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX,
> terminal=ssh res=success)'
>

> With this, I want to be notified with the host information,
> address, etc.
> via e-mail if someone logs into a particular host as "root".
>

> > 5) Lastly, I am going to strongly recommend to all our
> clients use
>
> > the products related to SYSLOG from Adiscon for us to be able to
>
> > process information within this environment for Windows based
>
> > machines. I would like to use the same table that is used
> for storage
>
> > of the rest of SYSLOG data, and I have the associated
> columns already
>
> > built. I just want to make sure that what I setup now will be
>
> > completely compatible and able to process NT Event Log information.
>

> The schema that comes with rsyslog is the "MonitorWare
> schema", which is
>
> the same for the commercial softwares too.
>

> I also suggest to have a look at the recently announced
>
> http://www.phplogcon.org. As part of phpLogCon, we will
> define a special
>
> Windows Event Format (based on our existing techology) that will be
>
> understood by phpLogCon. I will make sure it is documented,
> so that you
>
> can also subparse it. phpLogCon (also GPLv3) will contain the
> parser in
>
> php, so you should be quite easy be able to adopt it.
>

> I have taken a good look at it and will integrate it within our
> administration interface. It looks like an excellent product
> and will save
> me a lot of code to write.

If you have any feedback, comments, suggestions or feature request,
please let us know. It is very much in its infancy and Andre, the lead
developer, is working very hard on it.

FW: RE: RSYSLOG "Best Practices" & General Questions [ In reply to ]
I created a small wiki entry that has details on how to use a site id
inside the message. I hope it is useful:

http://wiki.rsyslog.com/index.php/Splitting_messages_based_on_a_site_ID

Rainer