Mailing List Archive

rsyslog version numbering
> > If I look at the migration case, I am tempted to do a one-time move
> > 4.0.x.x (stable) and 4.1.x.x (devel) and drop the v3 tree (flagged
as
> > interim devel release) to prevent any confusion about version
> numbers.
> > Changing from a 3-number to a 4-number scheme within the same major
> > release sounds confusing in itself to me.
>
> I support the suggestion above. Trying to number within v3
> is going to wreak havoc on attempts to update properly.
>
> p.s. To be perfectly honest, I didn't think a move to
> 4-number was even necessary,

I thought quite a while over your message. I have to admit that I
personally would prefer a three-number scheme. Maybe there is a solution
without going overboard on the major version number increments. First of
all, things become stable because bugs are fixed - and no new ones
added. "No new ones added" means every stable version is a dead-end when
it comes to features.

So, 2.0.4 may become 2.0.9 or even 2.0.9999, but we won't see a 2.1.x as
that would imply a sufficiently large new feature. This is also a quite
hard limit as it means the stable version will always starve for new
features. But that's how it works today.

In devel, the minor is updated whenever something cool enough is added
to justify that. Which means typically every 2 to 6 weeks on the current
schedule. So 3.10.0 has become 3.10.2, later 3.11.0 and we are now
(soon;)) at 3.12.5.

The interesting thing is what happens next: 3.12.5 is quite stable now.
There are some feature introduced in 3.10.0 being very stable, some from
3.11.0 which are the same and there as some new ones in 3.12.0
introduced which are not as stable as others (because of limited
exposure to practice). Anyhow, I'll soon convert that whole version to
4.0.0 (maybe 4.0.0.0) stable. Then I'll start a new devel branch and the
stable build again begins to mature but also become feature-less
compared to the devel - which has various stages of maturity some time
later.

I now got a new school of thinking: let's stick with the 3-digit scheme:

major.minor.patchlevel

Major will be incremented whenever there is sufficiently large change
(typically some inner workings must be changed quite a bit). Stabel and
Devel will coexist within the same major release.

For minor, we have even - stable and odd - devel. Patchlevel again is
smaller magnitude changes within the minor (or evolution of a new
feature not yet announced to be usable). But that doesn't solve my need
to sometimes have two or three devel versions with new features in a
row. To solve that, I suggest that we simply skip the stable releases.
For example:

4.0.0 has been released, 4.1.0 is the new stable. I add relp support in
4.1.0. Then I do some changes and end up at 4.1.4. Then, I decide to do
the new config file format. That'll be 4.3.0. Note that there now is a
stable version missing: we have 4.0.0, 4.1.4 and 4.3.0. I work some more
on devel. Then comes a new feature (let's guess TLS support...). So we
finally have 4.0.0, 4.1.4, 4.3.x and 4.5.x. After a while, I am at 4.5.5
and also got enough bug fixes to think that the feature introduced in
4.3.x is now ready for prime time. Then, I'll release 4.4.0, based on
the 4.3.x codebase (and missing the new 4.5.x feature). With the release
of 4.4.0, bugfixing for 4.0.x will end, as we now have a new stable
version of the v4 branch (but fixes would still be applied to stable
v2). So we end up with

4.0.x (deadend), 4.1.x (dead), NO 4.2.x, 4.3.x (dead), 4.4.x (current
stable v4) and 4.5.x (current stable v5).

The key thing is that I left out 4.2.x. If that seems to be acceptable,
we do not need the 4-number scheme.

I know it's pretty wild with all these version numbers... I hope I still
could get the idea over. Feedback is highly appreciated. If there is
none and no objection by next week Tuesday, I'll go for that scheme. I
intend to release 4.0.0(.0) next Wednesday. Today's release of 3.12.5
will set the stage for it.

> but I think you'd know better
> than anyone else what is in the pipeline for rsyslog, and if
> those are major enough to require "major" number to be
> changed, then, yeah, it wouldn't make sense to see 10.x.x
> within a year or two.

Just some thoughts of the pipeline. No guarantees on the order, but the
order is current thinking:

* relp support
* relp with TLS support (followed by relp/GSSAPI)
* config file format (scriptable, RainerScript)
* email notification output
* native TCP w. TLS/syslog-transport-tls internet draft
* cryptographically signed messages
* support for other message types but syslog
* tamperproof (compliance-compliant ;)) system that
forces rsyslogd to work with a centralized configuration
and provides the ability to detect unauthorized client
configuration changes (where they can't be prevented)

... and probably much more ;)

Rainer
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
hi,

what about the following major.minor.patchlevel with 3.x.y as an
exception, used as:

STABLE RELEASES
===============
1) release 3.x.y (e.g. 3.12.0) as stable.
we might continue providing patches, fixes, etc. in a fashion like:
- 3.12.0 (= stable)
- 3.13.0 (= major fix)
- 3.14.0 (= major fix)
- 3.15.0 (= small fix)

2) continue development with 4.0.x. release 4.0.14 as stable with:
- 4.0.14 (= stable)
- 4.0.15 (= fix)
- 4.0.16 (= fix)
- 4.0.17 (= fix)

3) continue development with 4.1.x, release e.g. 4.1.25 as stable with:
- 4.1.25 (= stable)
- 4.1.26 (= fix)
- 4.1.27 (= fix)
- 4.1.28 (= fix)

that's for the handling of stable releases.

ad 1) as a more consistent use of the major.minor.patchlevel, we could
use:
- 3.12.0
- 3.12.1
- 3.12.2
- 3.12.1255

DEVELOPMENT SUGGESTION A
========================
inside the development tree, one could do:
4.1.0 = new dev release
4.1.1-rc1 = major new features - exerimental - only for hardcore testers
4.1.1-rc2 = getting more stable
4.1.1-rc3 = getting more stable
4.1.1 = let more ppl test this release with its new features

4.1.2-rc1 = new features, new fixes, based on 4.1.1. 4.1.1. will not be
continued/patched/etc.

DEVELOPMENT SUGGESTION B
========================
do not release that many devel releases but put out nightlies with
a git "short" tag (i think i've seen this on hg). [1]

this would mean:
4.1.0 = new dev tree is started.
4.1.1-d12080bf3d99 snapshot/interim release 2008-03-28 big new features!
4.1.1-c377eb7b2a22 snapshot/interim release 2008-03-29 fixing
4.1.1-b7b2a2515d3a snapshot/interim release 2008-03-30 fixing
4.1.1 - now we're confident enough to make a release for testing.

4.1.2-10e7d626f05c - big new features snapshot/interim release
4.1.2 - we're confident - public testers wanted
4.1.25 - now we're stable - declare stable, no more features. ;)

of course, such interim releases must not happen on a daily basis.
everyone should be free to do a recent checkout and those interim
releases could be limited to rainer feeling confident enough ;)

so, what about this suggestion?

cheers,
raoul

[1] how to shorten the git revisions.
long: 4.1.1-d120806a4549ae6c377eb7b2a25172251fbf3d99
4.1.1-d12080(6a4549ae6c377eb7b2a25172251f)bf3d99
4.1.1-d12080...bf3d99
4.1.1-d12080.bf3d99
4.1.1-d12080bf3d99
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office at ipax.at
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
> what about the following major.minor.patchlevel with 3.x.y as an
> exception, used as:
>
> STABLE RELEASES
> ===============
> 1) release 3.x.y (e.g. 3.12.0) as stable.
> we might continue providing patches, fixes, etc. in a fashion like:
> - 3.12.0 (= stable)
> - 3.13.0 (= major fix)
> - 3.14.0 (= major fix)
> - 3.15.0 (= small fix)
>
> 2) continue development with 4.0.x. release 4.0.14 as stable with:
> - 4.0.14 (= stable)
> - 4.0.15 (= fix)
> - 4.0.16 (= fix)
> - 4.0.17 (= fix)
>
> 3) continue development with 4.1.x, release e.g. 4.1.25 as stable
with:
> - 4.1.25 (= stable)
> - 4.1.26 (= fix)
> - 4.1.27 (= fix)
> - 4.1.28 (= fix)
>
> that's for the handling of stable releases.

So in essence, at one patchlevel a major.minor becomes stable and a new
(major.minor) is begun - that would work for me and sound quite
logical...

A key point still would be that there could be a 4.1.24 unstable, while
I begin to work on 4.2.0. After all, things are unstable at first ;) So
we have two unstable in a row. After a while (we may be at 4.2.6) we can
release 4.1.25 (stable) as it has matured enough.

Any more comments on that?

> ad 1) as a more consistent use of the major.minor.patchlevel, we could
> use:
> - 3.12.0
> - 3.12.1
> - 3.12.2
> - 3.12.1255
>

> DEVELOPMENT SUGGESTION A
> ========================
> inside the development tree, one could do:
> 4.1.0 = new dev release
> 4.1.1-rc1 = major new features - exerimental - only for hardcore
> testers
> 4.1.1-rc2 = getting more stable
> 4.1.1-rc3 = getting more stable
> 4.1.1 = let more ppl test this release with its new features
>
> 4.1.2-rc1 = new features, new fixes, based on 4.1.1. 4.1.1. will not
be
> continued/patched/etc.

I see where you are coming from. This is actually a three and a half
version numbering scheme - but also makes sense to me. Looks like a good
solution. I like this much more than suggestion B, I have to admit ;) --
the main reason is that I tend to commit very frequently, but a nightly
release will probably bad to follow up on.

Overall, these suggestions look easier to follow than mine. So if nobody
objects, I'll implement them by mid next week. BUT... Feedback is still
most welcome!

Rainer

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards wrote:
>> inside the development tree, one could do:
>> 4.1.0 = new dev release
>> 4.1.1-rc1 = major new features - exerimental - only for hardcore
>> testers
>> 4.1.1-rc2 = getting more stable
>> 4.1.1-rc3 = getting more stable
>> 4.1.1 = let more ppl test this release with its new features
>>
>> 4.1.2-rc1 = new features, new fixes, based on 4.1.1. 4.1.1. will not
> be
>> continued/patched/etc.
>
> I see where you are coming from. This is actually a three and a half
> version numbering scheme - but also makes sense to me. Looks like a good
> solution. I like this much more than suggestion B, I have to admit ;) --
> the main reason is that I tend to commit very frequently, but a nightly
> release will probably bad to follow up on.

I like this idea too (or the general direction of it, anyway
-- I'm sure once you start down it, you will likely tweak it
to fit actual needs).

It lets you keep the 3-number scheme, while still providing
for interim releases that don't overload the version number.
And a few other projects seem to use this scheme too
(consistency is good).

> Overall, these suggestions look easier to follow than mine. So if nobody
> objects, I'll implement them by mid next week. BUT... Feedback is still
> most welcome!

So, starting next week, there will be 3 branches?

* 2.0.x -- stable, this is the one that systems like RHEL
will track for awhile

* 3.12.x -- what is this called? this is the "new" stable,
for those that need the new 3.x features, but also want a
relatively stabilized version, once the numbering is
sufficiently high

* 4.0.x -- devel, this is where the new major features start
going in

I think this works.

Actually, taking a look at mysql just for comparison sake,
they appear to have something similar: 5.0.x (for
super-stable, like RHEL), 5.1.x (for those who need full NDB
support, but mostly stable once it comes out of RC), and
6.0.x (alpha).

johnn
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> A key point still would be that there could be a 4.1.24 unstable, while
> I begin to work on 4.2.0. After all, things are unstable at first ;) So
> we have two unstable in a row. After a while (we may be at 4.2.6) we can
> release 4.1.25 (stable) as it has matured enough.

i see no problem with this. there even does not need to be a 4.1.x which
is declared as stable.

> I see where you are coming from. This is actually a three and a half
> version numbering scheme - but also makes sense to me. Looks like a good
> solution. I like this much more than suggestion B, I have to admit ;) --
> the main reason is that I tend to commit very frequently, but a nightly
> release will probably bad to follow up on.

there need not be a nightly release. after ordering things in my mind,
the main difference is:

do we need to map -rcX to git snapshot 45b6c18f1d13be2ff89ee62024ba...
or do we allready have this information somewhere accessible.

besides that, we could skip the "rc" string and simply use 4.0.12-1 -
like a build number which is used by some linux distributions.

another nice aspect would be to integrate the git hash into the initial
startup message or in some status output.

see:
> # cat /proc/drbd
> version: 8.0.8 (api:86/proto:86)
> GIT-hash: bd3e2c922f95c4fa0dca57a4f8c24bf8b249cc02 build by root at webcluster01, 2008-01-29 18:36:06

> Mar 23 06:25:27 webcluster02 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
> swVersion="1.19.7" x-pid="2525"][x-configInfo udpReception="No"
gitHash="bd3e2c922f95c4fa0dca57a4f8c24bf8b249cc02"
> udpPort="514" tcpReception="No" tcpPort="0"]

> Overall, these suggestions look easier to follow than mine. So if nobody
> objects, I'll implement them by mid next week. BUT... Feedback is still
> most welcome!

maybe it would be good to make a final statement before implementing and
releasing it. so we do not have to revert/skip/create the version 5 and
6 and discard 3/4 as a "versioning experiment" ;)

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office at ipax.at
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
> besides that, we could skip the "rc" string and simply use 4.0.12-1 -
> like a build number which is used by some linux distributions.

Actually, Red Hat-based distros (at least) use that "-1" for
internal changes.

Let's say there is a version: 4.0.12rc3

I (or Red Hat) decide to build an RPM based on that, so my
version is:
4.0.12rc3-1

Then, Rainer releases a 4.0.12rc4. It has too many new
features in it, so I decide not to move to it. HOWEVER, it
also has one crucial bugfix that I need. So I take that
patch and backport it into my version. Now, my new *local*
version is:
4.0.12rc3-2

So, I do like the idea of attaching rc* (because that makes
it clear the changes are from the developer), but not a
dash-number (-1, etc.) to the version, if at all possible,
because those tend to be localized/internal version number
changes.

johnn
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
And this sounds very reasonable, too. Also -rc seems to alert some folks
and makes clear what they are doing ;)

Please keep the feedback flowing, very good discussion.

Just a quick explanation why I would like to settle this out of the
sudden quickly. It's a somewhat political issue. While I have no
distro-preferrence (rsyslog should run great on as many platforms as
possible), I can get the new versioning scheme into Fedora 9 if I do it
by mid next week. That is a very nice incentive ;)

Rainer

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
2008/3/28, Johnny Tan <linuxweb at gmail.com>:
> Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
> > besides that, we could skip the "rc" string and simply use 4.0.12-1 -
> > like a build number which is used by some linux distributions.
>

> Actually, Red Hat-based distros (at least) use that "-1" for
> internal changes.

Yeah, please don't use "-1" as version suffix, this is usually
reserved for distros.
-rc? would be ok though.

Rainer, could you please summarise, what your current idea for the
version numbering is.
With all the different proposals I somehow lost track about the latest
preferred one.

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
I needed some time to digest all this myself ;) I've now done that and
put it all into a HTML page. That doesn't imply it is the scheme we will
finally use, but if so, it saves me some time. I have also described the
development process a bit. I think this is vital for understanding why I
need certain release numbers. The info is here (with the now irrelevant
text at the end of the doc):

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-version_naming.html

I am still a bit undecided if we really need to go v4 or can start this
(or whatever else) in the v3 branch...

Feedback appreciated.

Rainer

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
2008/3/29, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
> I needed some time to digest all this myself ;) I've now done that and
> put it all into a HTML page. That doesn't imply it is the scheme we will
> finally use, but if so, it saves me some time. I have also described the
> development process a bit. I think this is vital for understanding why I
> need certain release numbers. The info is here (with the now irrelevant
> text at the end of the doc):
>
> http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-version_naming.html
>
> I am still a bit undecided if we really need to go v4 or can start this
> (or whatever else) in the v3 branch...
>
> Feedback appreciated.

What I'm missing from the document, is a distinction between stable
and unstable releases
(or are all releases with -rc? unstable and without stable?)

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
2008/3/29, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com>:
> 2008/3/29, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
>
> > I needed some time to digest all this myself ;) I've now done that and
> > put it all into a HTML page. That doesn't imply it is the scheme we will
> > finally use, but if so, it saves me some time. I have also described the
> > development process a bit. I think this is vital for understanding why I
> > need certain release numbers. The info is here (with the now irrelevant
> > text at the end of the doc):
> >
> > http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-version_naming.html
> >
> > I am still a bit undecided if we really need to go v4 or can start this
> > (or whatever else) in the v3 branch...
> >
> > Feedback appreciated.
>

> What I'm missing from the document, is a distinction between stable
> and unstable releases
> (or are all releases with -rc? unstable and without stable?)

I.e., are -mf releases to be considered stable or not?
Would the current 3.12.5 be an rc release in the new versioning scheme?

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
[.Mmmhhh. I thought I had sent a reply from the pda. Well, please don't
wonder if it shows up some time later ;) So here is the full response:]

Any version with a devstate designation (-mf, -rc) is unstable. Every
version without it is stable (this will be far less versions as we reach
stable only every now and then).

So what would the current version be named? Mhh... It's not an easy
one-to-one mapping. Because the process changes a bit. Today, I add new
major and minor features at the same time while stabilizing old
features. This is also the primary reason why we so far have very
infrequently new features in the stable release: whenever I stabilize an
"older" feature, I introduce new bugs while working on the new ones.

That'll change a bit with the new scheme, as I then will freeze code
once the focus feature has been implemented. When I start with the next
focus feature, patches will be applied to both the "older" code as well
as the one I am working on. As such, features become stable during the
process. It obviously is some more work to do for me, as I now need to
apply patches to multiple code paths (to keep this reasonable, I limited
the stable releases to only the latest minor version). The plus is that
we get much more feature-rich stable releases, so I think the additional
development time is well spent. And for the ultra-conservative folks,
there is always the old, feature-less previous version stable (v2 in
this case).

After having said this, the current release would probably have two
names:

3.12.0-rc3 --> the stabilized module loader release
3.13.0-mf2 --> the new relp-enabled release which has not yet real relp
support

I am also now of the thought that we do not necessarily need to move to
4.0.0 to cover this new scheme. I'd say I can simply release a 3.13.0
stable next week (based on the current 3.12.5) and then continue to work
on relp in 3.14.0-rc0 (there will probably be no -mf for that release as
relp support is already quite far).

Question now: how can I just declare the release to be stable even
though it contains the RELP code? Answer: I am lucky ;) the relp code
*inside* rsyslog is just two slim inout/output plugins. No core changes.
The actual relp code comes via librelp, which is external. Thanks to
this coincidence, I did not really introduce any new features since the
last feature focus and so the rest of rsyslog could mature. At no other
point in the v3 tree I would have been able to do this. That is yet
another reason that I'd like to settle the issue by mid next week - the
initial version of relp is almost done and I am eager to move on.

Again, feedback appreciated.

Rainer

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
I'll do a new release according to the new versioning scheme
(3.13.0-rc1) later today if nobody objects. It's still not finalized,
but doing so makes everybody aware and is also a test for me (plus, we
could move to 3.13.0 [stable] on April, 2nd).

Rainer

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
2008/3/31, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
> I'll do a new release according to the new versioning scheme
> (3.13.0-rc1) later today if nobody objects. It's still not finalized,
> but doing so makes everybody aware and is also a test for me (plus, we
> could move to 3.13.0 [stable] on April, 2nd).

Ok, a few comments:
I thinks the distinction between mf? (minor features) and rc? (major
features) is a bit artifical and counterintuitive imho.
For me, rc means "release candidate", meaning that we are close to a
stable release (contrary to your proposal, where rc means major new
feature, possibly destabilizing a lot). Also, if I read your proposal
correctly, as soon as there was an rc1 release, there can be no more
mf? releases (even if the added features would be minor)
I'd rather use something like -pre1, -pre2 ... (no matter if you have
a major or minor feature) and if we are nearing a stable release
switch to -rc
Or you could do it like the kernel, and only use -rc?.

Another proposal for the version scheme (slightly adopted from KDE or Gnome):
As an example, your currently stable release is
3.1.x, eg. 3.1.4.
Now you want to work against the next minor release, which would be 3.2
So you start with
3.1.80 (80 meaning alpha/beta quality) and increment the last digit
for every new release, eg. 3.1.81 (if you reach 89, you start
numbering 89.1..)
When you enter RC stage, you switch to
3.1.90 and increment for each new release. The final release being 3.2.

If you are working towards a next major release, you would start with
3.80 -> 3.90 -> 4.0

Cheers,
Michael

[1] If you run out
universe are pointed away from Earth?
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
Quick comment... Others please also comment...

It would be fine with me to call all -pre1, -pre2 etc...

> Or you could do it like the kernel, and only use -rc?.

To me, it is quite illogical to call something a -rc, when it not even
contains the feature that it shall be a candidate for ;) That was the
primary driver for -mf.

> Another proposal for the version scheme (slightly adopted from KDE or
> Gnome):
> As an example, your currently stable release is
> 3.1.x, eg. 3.1.4.
> Now you want to work against the next minor release, which would be
3.2
> So you start with
> 3.1.80 (80 meaning alpha/beta quality) and increment the last digit
> for every new release, eg. 3.1.81 (if you reach 89, you start
> numbering 89.1..)
> When you enter RC stage, you switch to
> 3.1.90 and increment for each new release. The final release being
3.2.

Well, that is somewhat along the lines of what I currently do. Remember,
I start at 3.10.x for deve builds, then (in the original scheme), I'd go
to 3.0, continue with e.g. 3.12.3, which becomes 3.1. The problem were
the bouncing numbers. But maybe using patchlevel for that solves the
issues.

Let's use an actual sample.

3.13.0 is the current stable. The next major feature is RELP, which has
been completed, but is not yet stable. I am now working on plain tcp
TLS. So would this be the release numbers:

3.13.5 stable
3.13.87 relp
3.14.82 relp/tcp

Now let's assume I add a bugfix for the core engine. Would that bring us

3.13.6 stable
3.13.88 relp
3.14.83 rep/tcp

Once relp is stable, we will have

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable
3.14.83 rep/tcp unstable

So actually the 3.14.0 release happens possibly much later than 3.14.80?

And in that scheme we never have a development designation but the patch
level contains it (being >= 80 implies being unstable, while being less
implies being stable)?

From what I see, I think that would work for me.

Rainer

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
Question ;)

> If you are working towards a next major release, you would start with
> 3.80 -> 3.90 -> 4.0

That also means once we have reached 3.80, we can/will no longer apply
the new features to the 3.x stable tree, but rather only the 4.x stable
tree? I am asking because I just realized we would otherwise be back to
the up and down bouncing version numbers - this happens to be exactly
the scheme I used so far...

Rainer
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
2008/3/31, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
> Question ;)
>

> > If you are working towards a next major release, you would start with
> > 3.80 -> 3.90 -> 4.0
>

> That also means once we have reached 3.80, we can/will no longer apply
> the new features to the 3.x stable tree, but rather only the 4.x stable
> tree? I am asking because I just realized we would otherwise be back to
> the up and down bouncing version numbers - this happens to be exactly
> the scheme I used so far...

I don't see the problem here.
Say you have a current 3.2.1 stable release.
Then you start working for the next major release 4.
After 4.0 has been released, you want to add a new feature to the old
stable branch, so you release 3.3.0.
That's something completely different than renaming 3.12.x to 3.1 when
it becomes stable.

Michaell

universe are pointed away from Earth?
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
2008/3/31, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
> Quick comment... Others please also comment...

The point is, that the don't try to draw a line where they start
calling something alpha, beta then rc. The simply use one, rc, and
increment that.

> > Another proposal for the version scheme (slightly adopted from KDE or
> > Gnome):
> > As an example, your currently stable release is
> > 3.1.x, eg. 3.1.4.
> > Now you want to work against the next minor release, which would be
> 3.2
> > So you start with
> > 3.1.80 (80 meaning alpha/beta quality) and increment the last digit
> > for every new release, eg. 3.1.81 (if you reach 89, you start
> > numbering 89.1..)
> > When you enter RC stage, you switch to
> > 3.1.90 and increment for each new release. The final release being
> 3.2.
>

> Well, that is somewhat along the lines of what I currently do. Remember,
> I start at 3.10.x for deve builds, then (in the original scheme), I'd go
> to 3.0, continue with e.g. 3.12.3, which becomes 3.1. The problem were

The problem is, that for package management systems (and for people)
3.12.x > 3.1.x

> the bouncing numbers. But maybe using patchlevel for that solves the
> issues.
>
> Let's use an actual sample.
>
> 3.13.0 is the current stable. The next major feature is RELP, which has
> been completed, but is not yet stable. I am now working on plain tcp
> TLS. So would this be the release numbers:
>
> 3.13.5 stable
> 3.13.87 relp
> 3.14.82 relp/tcp
>
> Now let's assume I add a bugfix for the core engine. Would that bring us
>
> 3.13.6 stable
> 3.13.88 relp
> 3.14.83 rep/tcp
>
> Once relp is stable, we will have
>
> 3.13.6 deprecated
> 3.14.0 stable
> 3.14.83 rep/tcp unstable
>
> So actually the 3.14.0 release happens possibly much later than 3.14.80?

This only happens, if you have two unstable branches at the same time.
Do you expect that to happen that often?

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
I have not really followed the thread but thought I would give a quick
opinion.

My requirements would be:
Easy to follow numbering. I should be able to see at a glance what the
newer version is. There should not be confusing things like 3.12.3 which
becomes 3.1 as Michael highligted.

Other than that I am not really bothered. Stable and unstable numbering
is not realy relevant in my opinion anymore. I would rather look at the
website or an rss feed to ascertain which version is the latest stable
of a specific product.

Regards

rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
> > So actually the 3.14.0 release happens possibly much later than
> 3.14.80?
>
> This only happens, if you have two unstable branches at the same time.
> Do you expect that to happen that often?

I'd say that's the usual case given the current pace of development. I
could even envision three unstables at one time...

Rainer
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]

I was thinking about the .80+ case. Back to the sample, this time just
assuming that relp is scheduled for the next major release.

3.13.0 is the current stable.

3.13.5 stable
3.80.5 relp
3.81.2 relp/tcp

Now let's assume I add a bugfix for the core engine. Would that bring us

3.13.6 stable
3.80.6 relp
3.81.3 rep/tcp

Once relp is stable, we will have... well, what will we have? RELP is
stable, but the v4 goal is not yet reached? I thought it means it'll
become 3.14.0:

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp
3.81.3 rep/tcp unstable

But now we are back to a case wher 3.81.6 (higher version number) is the
same a 3.14.0. And now let's consider:

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp (based on 3.80.6)
3.81.3 relp/tcp unstable
3.82.0 relp w/ tls unstable

Now tcp becomes stable:

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp (based on 3.80.6)
3.15.0 relp/tcp stable (based on 3.81.3)
3.82.0 relp w/ tls unstable

But now we have the situation that 3.15 is more capable than 3.80. This
is what I meant. It's exactly the scheme rsyslog used so far, except
that I started unstable builds at .10 and not .80. If things working
towards a new release shall start with .80, we need to either hold
development on the stable (just as I did so far) or we need to have more
capable builds with fewer IDs.

Maybe this whole stable/unstable thing is not really worth the trouble
and I should instead provide the feature stability matrix instead -
where for each feature is shown how mature it is. Actually, I'd think
that would probably make up for better information.

Comments please.

Rainer
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
> > > So actually the 3.14.0 release happens possibly much later than
> > 3.14.80?
> >
> > This only happens, if you have two unstable branches at the same
> time.
> > Do you expect that to happen that often?
>
> I'd say that's the usual case given the current pace of development. I
> could even envision three unstables at one time...

This was maybe a bit brief. Let me add the reasoning, it may not be
obvious...

What makes a stable a stable? Bug fixes? Well, kind of. But actually it
is *TIME*. It takes some time to find the "initial bug set". So the most
bug reports come in in the 2 to 3 weeks after release. Depending on the
feature complexity, it may take even longer (just think about the queue
engine and its worker-thread system). So in essence, to get to a stable,
I need to have the version just sit around and wait for bugs and their
fixes.

This will start whenever I have implemented a feature initially. So to
continue, I'll immediately fork and work on the next feature set - else
I would be idling for at least a couple of weeks. And, depending on how
things go, I may even finish that one feature (minor release) and go to
the next one before even the version before it matures (especially if my
confidence in that code for some reason is reduced or the code is quite
complex). During that course, it may happen that a minor feature will
never become stable, but only the next one will (if that's quicker
stabilized than the previous one).

Rainer
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards wrote:

i clearly object this numbering scheme as it gives much trouble to both
ppl and package maintainers. moreover, i would see the 3.x.y branch as
a branch depending on some "old" kind of version numbering and start
with a fresh version scheme from 4.x.y onwards.

coming back to your example, what would you think of:

> 3.13.0 is the current stable.

3.13.5 stable
3.13.5-relp5 (3.80.5 relp)
3.13.5-relp+tcp2 (3.81.2 relp/tcp)

> Now let's assume I add a bugfix for the core engine. Would that bring us

3.13.6 stable
3.13.6-relp6 (3.80.6 relp)
3.13.5-relp+tcp3 (3.81.3 rep/tcp)

> Once relp is stable, we will have... well, what will we have? RELP is
> stable, but the v4 goal is not yet reached? I thought it means it'll
> become 3.14.0:

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp
3.14.0-tcp3 (3.81.3 rep/tcp unstable)

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp
3.14.3-tcp3 (3.81.3 relp/tcp unstable)
3.14.0-tls (3.82.0 relp w/ tls unstable)

> Now tcp becomes stable:

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp
3.15.0 relp/tcp stable
3.15.0-tls (3.82.0 relp w/ tls unstable)

this means we're basically working with patches which can be applied on
top of the current stable release. in git you can of course maintain
them as branches and merge as to your liking.

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office at ipax.at
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
This has some subtleties for me, too (well, maybe its not really
subtleties but simply frightening me ;)). Let me try to get this back to
a simple path. How about a simple

major.minor.patchlevel-dev<devlevel>

So basically the "Sunday scheme" without -mf/-rc but instead just -dev.
I guess the scheme was good for all, but the -mf/-rc was deemed
confusing. In the sample, it would look like:

3.13.5 stable
3.14.0-dev6 (relp)
3.15.0-dev3 (relp/tcp)

Now let's assume I add a bugfix for the core engine. Would that bring us

3.13.6 stable
3.14.0-dev7 (relp)
3.15.0-dev4 (relp/tcp)

Once relp is stable, we have

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp
3.15.0-dev4 (relp/tcp)

TLS begun:
3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 stable relp
3.15.0-dev4 (relp/tcp)
3.16.0-dev0 (tls)

Now tcp becomes stable:

3.13.6 deprecated
3.14.0 deprecated
3.15.0 stable (relp/tcp)
3.16.0-dev0 (tls)

Bottom line: versions with -dev<number> are unstable, all others are
stable.

Does this sound acceptable?

Rainer
rsyslog version numbering [ In reply to ]
FYI: I'll release as 3.13.0-dev0 soon to check out if that scheme brings
some problems to me in regard of the systems where I enter the version
number.

Again, nothing is decided yet. But I think it is better to do that
experiment in the v3 tree than to potentially lose a v4 version number
;) (and, as a side note, my v4 release goal is not yet reached, so I'd
prefer to stay at v3 if that's possible).

Please let us know if you don't like that 3.13.0-dev0 scheme so that we
can move to something different before I need to release the next
stable.

Thanks,
Rainer