Mailing List Archive

rsyslog 3.0.0 stable? - feedback, please
Hi all,

a question on the forum
(http://www.rsyslog.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-p-1113.phtml#1113 ) and a bit
asking around finally made me think about the possibility of a v3 stable
version, something that dangled on my mind for a while now... While it
is just three month since v2 stable, we have gone a long way and during
that time the new queue engine has much matured. As "development" state
is most often a show-stopper for putting code into production, I think
about releasing a 3.0.0 stable (based on the most recent 3.12.x version
WITHOUT RELP support).

From a support perspective, I'd like to continue support v2 stable and
obviously v3 stable and development concurrently. Development would
continue with 3.13.0 (RELP support), and 3.0.0 would only receive bug
fixes. Some time from now, 3.<whatever>.<whatever> would become 3.1.0
stable. At this point, I would drop support/fixing for 3.0.<whatever>
and ask users with problems in the branch to update to 3.1.<whatever>.

Does this sound reasonable? The big problem is that I must be careful
not to create too many version which I must support, but at the same
time allow new, matured, features to go into broader production. And, of
course, 3.0.0 stable would probably be a bit less stable than 2.0.4, but
only if you use features that are not present in v2. All in all, the
queue engine has received more than a fire drill and is ready for
production - though probably not fully trouble free. But we won't see
that until it gets more used.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rainer
rsyslog 3.0.0 stable? - feedback, please [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a question on the forum
> (http://www.rsyslog.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-p-1113.phtml#1113 ) and a bit
> asking around finally made me think about the possibility of a v3 stable
> version, something that dangled on my mind for a while now... While it
> is just three month since v2 stable, we have gone a long way and during
> that time the new queue engine has much matured. As "development" state
> is most often a show-stopper for putting code into production, I think
> about releasing a 3.0.0 stable (based on the most recent 3.12.x version
> WITHOUT RELP support).
>
>>From a support perspective, I'd like to continue support v2 stable and
> obviously v3 stable and development concurrently. Development would
> continue with 3.13.0 (RELP support), and 3.0.0 would only receive bug
> fixes. Some time from now, 3.<whatever>.<whatever> would become 3.1.0
> stable. At this point, I would drop support/fixing for 3.0.<whatever>
> and ask users with problems in the branch to update to 3.1.<whatever>.

i guess this will cause serious headake because people tend to think
like this:

3.0.x is less mature/was released before
3.1.x is less mature/was released before
3.12.x is less mature/was released before
3.13.x

i guess there should be a deliberate versioning scheme. examples are:

- versioning similar to the linux kernel
- release 3.12.x as 3.12.x-stable and continue development without this
tag.
- something else

but i guess its no good to jump from 3.12.x back to 3.0.x and from a
future revision such as 3.40.x back to 3.1.x

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office at ipax.at
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15
rsyslog 3.0.0 stable? - feedback, please [ In reply to ]
Hi Raoul,

OK, good feedback on the version number scheme - it has been sitting
this (confusing) way all time since the early days of rsyslog...
Probably a sufficiently good cleanup would be to go to 4.x and the
follow a reasonable scheme from then on...

But besides that: how do you feel about the facts other then the version
numbering?

Rainer

rsyslog 3.0.0 stable? - feedback, please [ In reply to ]
hi,

Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> OK, good feedback on the version number scheme - it has been sitting
> this (confusing) way all time since the early days of rsyslog...
> Probably a sufficiently good cleanup would be to go to 4.x and the
> follow a reasonable scheme from then on...
>
> But besides that: how do you feel about the facts other then the version
> numbering?

sorry, i cannot quote on this as i am not using v3 as of now.

this might change in the next couple of weeks but as of now we're still
on version v1.x, as this version is not giving much trouble.

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office at ipax.at
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15