Mailing List Archive

RE: Problem building rsyslog
Hello Dusan,

first of all many thanks again for allowing me to answer this via the
mailing list. I guess it can be helpful for other users, too.

The issue is actually a small typo. You wrote:

> *.* => 127.0.0.1,Syslog,root,;dbFormat

the correct one would be

> *.* => >127.0.0.1,Syslog,root,;dbFormat

please note the greater-than-sign in front of "127.0.0.1". This is what
tells rsyslog to write to the database. As a side note, you can also
skipt the ";dbFormat" part if you use the default schema, so it would
come down to

> *.* => >127.0.0.1,Syslog,root,

But please be aware that 0.9.1 has a bug, so that a semicolon at the end
is needed in all cases.

Regarding the make, you need to enable MySQL support by editing the
makefile. If you have not done this, MySQL functionality is *not* there.

And finally, I recommend to move on to version 0.9.6, which has fixed a
number of glitches and also has much better documentation. You can
obtain it from www.rsyslog.com.

Please note that we now have good HOWTOs on both the install process as
well as writing to the data base. They can be viewed online at

http://www.rsyslog.com/Documentation-/install.html.phtml
http://www.rsyslog.com/Documentation-/rsyslog_mysql.html.phtml

If any of these links become broken by the mailer, simply go to

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc

and follow the links on that page.

I hope that gets you going. If there are still problems, please let me
know. I know that I sometimes do not provided the greatest instructions,
so assume any misunderstanding is caused by me ;)

Rainer

RE: Problem building rsyslog [ In reply to ]
Hello Rainer.

Thank you for your help , now is running correctly ....

Best Regards.

RE: Problem building rsyslog [ In reply to ]
Hello Dusan,

excellent, my pleasure :) BTW: should you have some performance data, I
would be interested to know. Especially if you should have a large
message volume. It's always interesting to know what reality tells about
a software.

And one quick note: there is a web interface available to access the
database. It is also GPLed and can be found at http://www.phplogcon.com
- it's not as great as I would like to have it yet, but I and some other
folks will focus on it soon. It's also already quite useful if you would
like to view messages online.

Rainer

RE: Problem building rsyslog [ In reply to ]
Hello Gerald.

[1] Please when I want to communicate with you it must be over mail list "rsyslog-users" ?
[2] Of course I explain why I need to use a rsyslog this Monday. BTW , phpLogCon running very nice....

Best Regards.

RE: Problem building rsyslog [ In reply to ]
Hello Dusan,

> [1] Please when I want to communicate with you it must be
> over mail list "rsyslog-users" ?

Of ocurse, there is no MUST at all ;) I'd just appreciate it when it is
about setup or similar things that are of interest for others, too.
Anyhow, it might create some additinal traffic on the list, which might
not be soo great for those only interested in announcements. Maybe it
would be a good idea to create a special list for those.

Anyhow: if you prefer to contact me via private mail, please do. I would
just very much appreciate to post things of common interest to the list,
so others with a similar problem can find the solution and I do not need
to answer the same thing ever and ever again ;)

There is also a forum since recently:

http://www.rsyslog.com/PNphpBB2.phtml

This is also an excellent place to ask questions.

> [2] Of course I explain why I need to use a rsyslog this
> Monday. BTW , phpLogCon running very nice....

I would appreciate that very much. With rsyslog being still new, it is
very interesting for me to get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks,
Rainer