into a ./src directory. We haven't done this so far as with CVS this
would have meant loss of history.

Rainer
rsyslog moving to git [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> I wanted to make you aware that the rsyslog project will move to git for
> its source control. I plan to do this move some time during the next two
> weeks (depending on development workload). I will send out another note
> shortly before the actual date but wanted to make you all aware about
> the fact.

just for the records, what made you choose git over other options like
svn, hg, etc.? especially hg (mercurial) looks very promising, if you
really need a distributed scm.

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office at ipax.at
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15
rsyslog moving to git [ In reply to ]
Hi Raoul,

maybe my answer is surprising, but it is honest: it was the support
provided by Michael Biebl - that's a killer feature ;)

At the bottom line, my primary focus is on coding the greatest syslogd
ever. Anything else (like scm) is just something that I must have, but I
hope to spend as few time on it as possible. CVS, however, made me feel
pain, especially when I tried to restructure the code tree (loss of
history).

Rainer

rsyslog moving to git [ In reply to ]
2008/2/28, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] <r.bhatia at ipax.at>:
> Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> > I wanted to make you aware that the rsyslog project will move to git for
> > its source control. I plan to do this move some time during the next two
> > weeks (depending on development workload). I will send out another note
> > shortly before the actual date but wanted to make you all aware about
> > the fact.
>

> just for the records, what made you choose git over other options like
> svn, hg, etc.? especially hg (mercurial) looks very promising, if you
> really need a distributed scm.

Why not svn? Surely svn is a bit better than CVS but imho it already
has reached it's peak. There are better tools available nowadays. If
we do the switch (and the work that is necessary for that) today, it
makes sense to pick the most capable (D)SCM.

Why git? It's fast, it has unique features, it has proven its
credibility (see kernel, xorg etc).
There is strong momentum behind git in the community and overall
support is good.
Recent versions (< 1.5) were a bit hard to handle, but the UI got much
better recently and also the docs have improved noticably.

Imho git is a good choice.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?