Mailing List Archive

rsyslog Usage
Hi

Apologies for being slightly lazy/in a rush. I am reading through the
documentation at the moment but I want to do the following:

Log to local host and multiple remote hosts. (The same message gets send
to multiple hosts)

I saw a backup host example but not to two hosts simultaneously, can I
log to two hosts simultaneously?

Will/can rsyslog buffer log files if the remote host is not available
and then sync when the host is available again. And if you are logging
to more than one host will this still work. Would disk space be the only
limiting factor in buffering files locally?

I am using a fedora package which contains the following version:
rsyslog-1.19.6-3.fc8

Regards
rsyslog Usage [ In reply to ]
Just let us get to an understanding of features, howto once we have
settle on a version:

Absolutely no problem. Just do as many

*.* @host1
*.* @host2
*.* @hostn

As you like (of course, you can also filter).

> I saw a backup host example but not to two hosts simultaneously, can I
> log to two hosts simultaneously?

Backup is just a special use case. You can use some backups and also -
see above - just regular multiple actions.

> Will/can rsyslog buffer log files if the remote host is not available
> and then sync when the host is available again. And if you are logging
> to more than one host will this still work. Would disk space be the
> only
> limiting factor in buffering files locally?

Indeed. This talks about databases, but it applies to any action
(including write to host):

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-rsyslog_high_database_rate.html

The bad news, though, is that you need a recent v3 build...

HTH
Rainer