Mailing List Archive

Port 514
> Hi all,
>
> I'd appreciate your feedback on this question.
>
> Historically, syslog messages were not only received on port 514, but
> were also send from that port. This is an artifact from the fact that
> early syslogd used a single port both for sending and receiving. So far,
> I have maintained that and done so with some pain. With v3, I would like
> to get rid of this legacy (because it introduces inter-module
> dependencies and also makes multiple listeners really complicated).
>
> So I wonder if anyone over here finds this "feature" (syslog messages
> are sent from port 514 by default) important. What pops up my mind are
> firewall rules. Is there anything else broken if we change that?

We use syslog pretty extensively here at the ISP I work for and I
don't see how this would affect anything we do. Firewall rules are
almost always bast on destination port, not sending port. I don't
think changing this would cause any problems.

--
Scott Baker - Canby Telcom
RHCE - System Administrator - 503.266.8253