Mailing List Archive

rsyslog 1.21.0 released
Hi all,

as I mentioned a few minutes ago, I have just released version 1.21.0.
First question may be "why 1.21.0 and not 2.0.0"? The answer is that
varmojfekoj provided a patch that allowed me to finally enable GSS-API
support in rsyslog. While I really like this, I did not find it
appropriate to include such a major new feature in the first release of
a 2.0.0 *stable*. So I went back to the v1 releases. If I do not hear of
any serious problems, I'll re-release that version as 2.0.0.

What also brings us to the new features: GSS-API is obviously now there.
There is very limited documentation that goes with it. I'll focus on
that in the v3 releases, with docs being propagated down to v2 as
possible. If anyone would like to contribute doc, I'd obviously be very
happy ;) I currently do not intend to spent too much time with it,
because I do not like to distract myself from v3 until I managed to get
at least the most important things up and running.

V1.21.0 also contains Michael Biebl's $IncludeConfig enhancement, many
cleanups as well as the fix that hopefully addresses the segfault. So
far, I have neither heard a success or failure report. For success, it
obviously is too early, rsyslogd often needed a few days to experience
the fault. I still hope for the best...

A quick note on v3: things are going pretty well. I'll post an answer to
Michael Biebl's note on what will become modular a bit later, it needs
some time. GSS-API was the last major new feature I'll accept for v2.
Everything else will go in v3. I expect to release v2 by the end of the
week and the initial v3 maybe a week later. I will make a preview
tarball of v3 available soon so that those interested can have a look at
it (and, of course, CVS head already has it).

Download links and changelog can be found on the usual places on
www.rsyslog.com.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Rainer Gerhards
rsyslog 1.21.0 released [ In reply to ]
2007/12/19, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
> Download links and changelog can be found on the usual places on
> www.rsyslog.com.

Download link seems to be missing.

Cheers,
Michael

P.S: what about posting md5sums for release tarballs in the annoucment
email and on www.rsyslog.com?

universe are pointed away from Earth?
rsyslog 1.21.0 released [ In reply to ]
2007/12/19, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com>:
> 2007/12/19, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
> > Download links and changelog can be found on the usual places on
> > www.rsyslog.com.
>
> Download link seems to be missing.

Ah, seems to be there now.

universe are pointed away from Earth?
rsyslog 1.21.0 released [ In reply to ]
I guess it was a cache issue, I always start by creating the download,
then changelog entry, etc... The md5sum is part of the download
description. I thought it is OK to post it there, only. It also somewhat
saved me when I applied the last-minute doc patch and re-released. With
the md5sum in the mail, it would have created some confusion. What do
you say?

Rainer

rsyslog 1.21.0 released [ In reply to ]
2007/12/19, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com>:
> I guess it was a cache issue, I always start by creating the download,
> then changelog entry, etc... The md5sum is part of the download
> description. I thought it is OK to post it there, only. It also somewhat
> saved me when I applied the last-minute doc patch and re-released. With
> the md5sum in the mail, it would have created some confusion. What do
> you say?

Agreed. Posting the md5sum on the web page should be fine.

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?