Mailing List Archive

Receiving over TCP only working in debug mode
Hi Group,

I've been working to set up a central syslog server starting with UDP
(-r514) and that worked fine once the firewall was opened. Next step
was to use TCP and then finally I would use stunnel+tcp.

However, when I switched to TCP (-t514) and made the corresponding
change to the client rsyslog.conf (@@host:514), rsyslog stopped
receiving data and did not bind to the port (netstat -an). To confirm, a
telnet to the port returned no connection.

I started up rsyslog in debug mode (rsyslogd -m 0 -t514 -d -n) and it
then showed it was listening on 514 and I was able to send syslog data
as well as telnet to the port.

In short: when started from the command line in debug mode, TCP works.
When using the -t514 switch in the /etc/sysconfig/rsyslogd file, TCP
does not start up.

Any ideas? I'm using RPMs from tanso.net and I'm running 1.19.8.

Brian