Mailing List Archive

syslogd and rsyslogd together
Syslogd and rsyslogd didn't seem to play well together on my system. I had some debugging output, but I don't recall precisely what it said and I didn't save it. I didn't think rsyslogd would bind to 514 by default, would it? I think I will try and reenact the scenario.
syslogd and rsyslogd together [ In reply to ]
Sorry for the sluggish response. I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment,
my mailbox needs a desperate cleanup ;)

rsyslogd is intended as a syslogd replacement. As such, it does *NOT*
play nice together with stock syslogd. And, yes, rsyslogd binds to port
514/UDP by default. It does so by querying etc/services, which
unfortuantely makes it hard to change this default easily. I'll add this
to the todo list...

Rainer