Mailing List Archive

rsyslog as an AWS Markteplace Application
Hi all,

just some info you might find interesting. We have been working the
past couple of weeks on an AWS rsyslog offering. Quick Intro is here:

https://www.rsyslog.com/aws-rsyslog-an-overview/

Why are we doing this?

We were approached by some folks that currently AWS host a rsyslog
implementation by some third party that looks like it is from the
rsyslog project. The quality of the rsyslog part (which is the main
point) of that application is questionable (we actually got complaints
about rsyslog quality).

As such, we thought if such an offering makes sense for us as the
project. Actually, I find value in it. Main points:

- it helps to make clear what is an official rsyslog project and what not
- it exposes me to even better understand of end-user needs that our
regular support offerings
- it hopefully provides some additional funding to the project
- it is an interesting new service offering for those folks looking
for a cloud-based solution

We are in early stages of development, but we already go quite some
ideas of how we could improve rsyslog to support such an offering in a
technical way. The resulting enhancements will benefit the community
at large.

My plan is that we go to a final first release in Q2/23. Up until
then, we will try to use rsyslog without larger modification to handle
all required features. If after release we see real demand, we are
ready to go into new feature development.

Now you know what has been going on in the last time. We weren't clear
enough about the project until now, so we did not communicate. The web
doc went live 5 minutes ago.

I just wanted to let you know before we begin to tell other folks.

Rainer
Re: rsyslog as an AWS Markteplace Application [ In reply to ]
Hello!

I'd suggest extending the offer to Azure cloud too.. it shouldn't be really
different from the AWS case (I'd expect just a bit different `packer`
config to create the image)..

Thank you!

--
Yury Bushmelev
Re: rsyslog as an AWS Markteplace Application [ In reply to ]
Hi Yury,

thanks for the suggestion - you are right. We will look into it.

Rainer