Mailing List Archive

Input module name 'imp' is unknown
Afternoon all! So I?ve encountered another syntax problem.. this time with a specific rsyslog.d/conf file. Here?s an error snippet:

root@server:/etc/rsyslog.d# rsyslogd -N1 -f 15-remote-syslog.conf
rsyslogd: version 8.2112.0, config validation run (level 1), master config 15-remote-syslog.conf
rsyslogd: input module name 'imudp' is unknown [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2209 ]
rsyslogd: error during parsing file 15-remote-syslog.conf, on or before line 83: parameter 'ruleset' not known -- typo in config file? [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 ]
rsyslogd: error during parsing file 15-remote-syslog.conf, on or before line 83: parameter 'port' not known -- typo in config file? [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 ]
rsyslogd: input module name 'imudp' is unknown [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2209 ]
rsyslogd: error during parsing file 15-remote-syslog.conf, on or before line 84: parameter 'ruleset' not known -- typo in config file? [v8.2112.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 ]

And so on from line 83 ? 94, which is the entire binding block. The conf file is long so I won?t paste the entire contents but here is a snippet:

ruleset(name="amp20528" queue.type="linkedlist" queue.workerThreads="4" queue.workerThreadMinimumMessages="20000"){
action(type="omfile" file="/var/log/remote-syslog/amp.log" ioBufferSize="64k" flushOnTXEnd="off")
}
input(type="imudp" port="20514" ruleset="switches20514")

There are 12 rulesets, with 12 inputs/bindings at the bottom of the file. The quotation marks are 100% correct, as well as the other punctuation marks. Each ruleset is identical save the name and log file name (meaning the paths are the same).

Rsyslog.conf contains:

$ModLoad imuxsock # provides support for local system logging
$ModLoad imklog # provides kernel logging support (previously done by rklogd)
$ModLoad immark # provides --MARK-- message capability

module(load="imudp")
input(type="imudp" port=["20514","20515","20516","20517","20518","20519","20520","20524","20525","20526","20527","20528"]
name="" name.appendPort="on")

module(load="impstats" interval="10" log.file="/var/log/rsyslog_stats.log" log.syslog="off")

(the default lines for file permissions and the $Include statement at the bottom)

I?ve been fighting this for about 5 hours today trying all manner of things. I eliminated the possibility of file encoding issues.. all the forking conf files are us-ascii just like this one. I get the feeling that the module load might be the source of the problem but I came across a RH forum post showing the defining of the bindings, in rsyslog.conf directly under the module(load=?imudp?) line.. maybe that?s it?

Thanks!

[Jamf]

Ben Hart
IT Systems Administrator II
100 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55401
[Phone]
+00 1 989 424 0187
[Email]
ben.hart@jamf.com
[Web]
www.jamf.com<https://www.jamf.com>
[Facebook] [Twitter] [LinkedIn] [YouTube]
Re: Input module name 'imp' is unknown [ In reply to ]
running the config check on a subset of the config is likely to run into grief,
run it on the top level config file and it will check the included files.

It's also useful to create a combind file. If you start rsyslog as

rsyslogd -o /path/to/file

that file will contain rsyslog.conf and all included conf files in the order
that rsyslog see them (rsyslog combines all the files, and then starts parsing
them)

having actions in a included config file when you have the module load in the
master file will mean that if you try to check the included file as if it was
the entire config, you will get errors. I think that's what's happening here.

David Lang