Old Code
ruleset(name="main-ruleset" queue.type="Direct" queue.timeoutenqueue="0" ) {
// Capability 1 code

}

New Code

To be clear, we aren't mixing rsyslog with asynchronous queues and direct
queues. We are only using direct queues as analogous to functions.

Rajesh KSV
Re: Are direct queue rulesets thread safe? [ In reply to ]
Sorry, sent incomplete mail last time (bad key combination)

This is what we are trying to do

*Old Code. All code is written inside main-ruleset*

ruleset(name="main-ruleset") {
// Capability 1 code
// Capability 2 code
// Capability 3 code
// Capability 4 code
// Long long code
}

*New Code. Extracted them into different rulesets (direct queue)*

ruleset(name="main-ruleset") {
call Capability1
call Capability2
call Capability3
call Capability4
// Still sequential operation but modular code.
}

ruleset(name="Capability1"){
}
ruleset(name="Capability2"){
}
ruleset(name="Capability3"){
}
ruleset(name="Capability4"){
}

Hope this doesn't cause any race conditions/performance issues. *The main Q
is - Can we use rulesets (backed by DIRECT queue) analogous to functions or
are there any implications ? *

PS: We aren't adding queue.type="Direct" on the ruleset as it had some
issues in old versions. We are defining the ruleset w/o queue.type.

On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 5:56 PM rajeshksv <rajeshksv37@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are trying to re-organize our long long rainer script into modules so
> that its more readable. As part of that, wondering if rulesets (backed by
> direct queues) are synchronous and thread safe
>
> Ex:
> Old Code
> ruleset(name="main-ruleset" queue.type="Direct" queue.timeoutenqueue="0" )
> {
> // Capability 1 code
>
> }
>
> New Code
>
> To be clear, we aren't mixing rsyslog with asynchronous queues and direct
> queues. We are only using direct queues as analogous to functions.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Rajesh KSV

Rajesh KSV
Re: Are direct queue rulesets thread safe? [ In reply to ]
Have a look at the "call" doc:

https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/master/rainerscript/rainerscript_call.html

I think it explains your question.

Note, however, that thread-safeness is different from [a]sync
processing. There are some inherent races when non-direct queues are
involved. But from context I think this was not your question.

HTH
Rainer