Mailing List Archive

global legacy to rscript documentation
Hello,

I am trying to convert an legacy configuration file to rscript, and I am
unable to find a list for the global options. For example changing:

$ModLoad immark.so
$MarkMessagePeriod 3600

into

module(load="immark.so" MarkMessagePeriod="3600")

or

$ModLoad imklog.so
$klogConsoleLogLevel

into

module(load="imklog.so" klogConsoleLogLevel="1")

Those options (klogConsoleLogLevel or MarkMessageperiod) seem to have
been renamed.
However, the Libraray Modules Documentation Website does not list any
modules, and f.e. the $MarkMessagePeriod site does not link to an
rscript equivalent at all.

So I am wondering, is there somewhere an overview of old vs. new options?

Also for other global settings like converting $Umask, $InclideConfig or
$FileOwener?

Thanks

Ede
Re: global legacy to rscript documentation [ In reply to ]
I don’t believe that all of the legacy configuration have new equivalents. Note below that in my file of global definitions I have both styles, the reason being when I put it together I couldn’t find newer equivalents. They may have since been implemented, the maintainers will know for sure.

This is the ONLY case where I use the old style syntax, i.e. this small section of global definitions, everything else is written utilizing the new script constructions. To my way of thinking, if this is the only part of the old style syntax I have to deal with, then I can live with it just fine.

$ cat 01-globals.conf

# Old Style Globals

$RepeatedMsgReduction off
$umask 0000
$CreateDirs on

# New Style Globals

global(
processInternalMessages="on"
parser.dropTrailingLFOnReception="on"
parser.spaceLFOnReceive="on"
parser.escapeControlCharactersOnReceive="on"
maxMessageSize="16k"
preserveFQDN="on"
net.enableDNS="off"
workDirectory="/logspool"
senders.keepTrack="on"
senders.timeoutAfter="86400"
senders.reportGoneAway="on"
senders.reportNew="on"
oversizemsg.errorfile="/logspool/oversizemsg.errorfile"
oversizemsg.input.mode="truncate"
oversizemsg.report="on"
)

Regards,

Re: global legacy to rscript documentation [ In reply to ]
$RepeatedMsgReduction is off by default so you don't need to set it explicitly.
$CreateDirs is also on by default and it has its equivalent in omfile parameters.
$umask can be set externally per rsyslogd process.

Re: global legacy to rscript documentation [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your insight. I also haven't been able to find any recent
documentation on the modules in question, so I'll give up and return to
legacy.

Re: global legacy to rscript documentation [ In reply to ]
the most up to date version of the docs is at rsyslog.com. we've been updating
them to include examples of the new syntax for years, but it's a slow process.

that being said, there is no intent to have the old syntax stop working. I
routinely use *.info /path/to/file;template syntax as it's simple and clear

use whatever syntax makes it clear to your admins what is intended to happen.

it's recommended that things with multiple lines (especially queues) move to the
new syntax, just because people tend to get confused as to what is actually
happening with the old syntax.

David Lang