Mailing List Archive

Rsyslog configuration language filter
Hi;

Since rsyslog has been around since 2004, it's gone through two or three
versions of the configuration language.

As such, there's a ton of web pages with rsyslog configuration examples
that are for the deprecated versions, and it's a mess.

What would be cool would be a web page like the Rsyslog configuration
builder
(https://www.rsyslog.com/rsyslog-configuration-builder/https://www.rsyslog.com/rsyslog-configuration-builder/)
that could take a configuration file as input and either convert it to
the latest language or leave it as-is.

Or perhaps a browser plugin that could do the same thing.

That'd be much easier than hunting down all of the web pages showing
examples with deprecated configuration syntax and get them changed by
their multitude of authors!

This idea was inspired by a browser plugin that changes all occurrences
of "Trump" to "Drumpf" on loaded web pages:

* https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donald-drumpf/
*
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/make-trump-drumpf-again/lmnokpclgaloldolngkkpccnambcciem?hl=en

--
CH-and-rsyslog@ch.pkts.ca
Re: Rsyslog configuration language filter [ In reply to ]
Rsyslog tries very hard to maintain backwards compatibility, there are only a
few things that used to work that no longer work, so while those old examples
aren't what is currently recommended, they should still work.

We currently have a -o option that combines all included files into one to show
what rsyslog actually is seeing, the feature request that lead to that being
added asked for exactly what you are asking for, that when rsyslog outputs the
line, it converts it to the newest format (most importantly, convert actions to
the new action() format so that we can see all the inherited parameters for the
action.

additional people asking for this, or someone willing to help create it would
help get it done sooner.

David Lang