Mailing List Archive

Did I configure forwarding Linux server logs to Kiwi Syslog Server on Windows Server correctly?
Subject: Did I configure forwarding Linux server logs to Kiwi Syslog
Server on Windows Server correctly?

Good day from Singapore,

I am just wondering if I have configured forwarding Linux server logs
to Kiwi Syslog Server correctly.

The OS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7.x 64-bit virtual machine
inside VMware ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3.

The commands I have used on 1st June 2022 are as follows.

# nano /etc/rsyslog.conf

*.* @@<IP address of Kiwi Syslog Server>:514

# systemctl restart rsyslog

# netstat -anp | grep <IP address of Kiwi Syslog Server>
tcp 0 1 <IP address of local server>:51314 <IP address of Kiwi Syslog
Server>:514 SYN_SENT 32755/rsyslogd

We haven't install and configure Kiwi Syslog Server on Windows Server
2016 Standard yet.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
8 Jun 2022 Wed
Blogs:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com/
https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/
Re: Did I configure forwarding Linux server logs to Kiwi Syslog Server on Windows Server correctly? [ In reply to ]
looks like it, and since you don't have anything listening, your sending system
will stop processing all logs while it's down (see queues for how to handle this
situation)

David Lang

Re: Did I configure forwarding Linux server logs to Kiwi Syslog Server on Windows Server correctly? [ In reply to ]
Good day from Singapore,

I can confirm that I have configured syslog forwarding correctly.

The following configuration directive is for TCP port 514:

*.* @@<IP address of Kiwi Syslog Server>:514

The following configuration directive is for UDP port 514:

*.* @<IP address of Kiwi Syslog Server>:514

It depends on whether you want to use UDP port or TCP port. Your Kiwi
Syslog Server may have been configured to listen on UDP port or TCP
port or BOTH.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore