Mailing List Archive

On a (recently fixed?) CVE-2022-24903
Hello,

could someone please explain what (potential) buffer overrun is actually fixed by an upstream commit
f211042ecbb472f9d8beb4678a65d272b6f07705? AFAICS both 'isValidHexNum()' and 'syntax_ipv6()' just parses
the buffers passed in but seems doesn't _fill_ anything...

Thanks,
Dmitry
Re: On a (recently fixed?) CVE-2022-24903 [ In reply to ]
Full info:
https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/security/advisories/GHSA-ggw7-xr6h-mmr8

You seem to mix up two different things.

HTH
Rainer

Sent from phone, thus brief.

Dmitry Antipov via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com> schrieb am Fr., 13.
Mai 2022, 15:05:

Re: On a (recently fixed?) CVE-2022-24903 [ In reply to ]
On 5/13/22 20:54, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

> Full info: https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/security/advisories/GHSA-ggw7-xr6h-mmr8

I've read this carefully. This document explicitly states:

"While there is a check for the maximum number of octets, digits are written to a heap buffer
even when the octet count is over the maximum, This can be used to overrun the memory buffer".

So the question is: if an upstream commit f211042ecbb472f9d8beb4678a65d272b6f07705 really
fixes this issue, what particular buffer the sentence above is about? As shown by
'git show f211042ecbb472f9d8beb4678a65d272b6f07705 --diff-merges=on', this is a merge
commit of two (excluding tests and docs) unrelated pieces - 'prctl()' quirk to set the thread
name and adjustments to 'isValidHexNum()' and 'syntax_ipv6(). The both of the latter doesn't
write any buffers.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dmitry
Re: On a (recently fixed?) CVE-2022-24903 [ In reply to ]
Ah!

It looks like GitHub has dropped the actual fix from the advisory because
it was merged to a different branch during the embargo period and later
merged into the master branch.

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/commit/89955b0bcb1ff105e1374aad7e0e993faa6a038f

I'll explicitly add it to the advisory tomorrow.

Rainer

Sent from phone, thus brief.

Dmitry Antipov <dantipov@cloudlinux.com> schrieb am Fr., 13. Mai 2022,
20:21: