Mailing List Archive

Controlling Hostname
I have several Linux instances in an Amazon VPC. They send UDP 514 to a singular free tier ubuntu server running rsyslog.
It aggregates all incoming messages and sends them over TLS to a primary log server running mysql and Loganalyzer on it.
Amazon makes controlling the hostname necessary because most hostnames look something like ip-10-0-99-199.
I was thinking maybe there was a way I could force the host that is originating a syslog message send it's message as an "IP address" versus the hostname.
If that were true, I could likely set any name I wanted in the /etc/hosts on the primary server and then primary server could just resolve the hostname on the primary server. Is that possible? If so how would I accomplish that?
Thanks in advance,CB
Re: Controlling Hostname [ In reply to ]
create a template that has whatever text you want in the hostname field and then
use that when sending a message

on the receiving side (the relay), you can look at fromhost-ip or fromhost and
then use that in a template while relaying it

David Lang

Re: Controlling Hostname [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your response, I just found that there's likely a more elegant solution that requires less configuration.
There's an AWS config file that allows the dhcp EC2 instances to "preserve hostname".
I'll try that before I try to tackle the template approach. I can provide a link to that AWS guidance if anyone happens to be interested.Thanks again David.

Re: Controlling Hostname [ In reply to ]
managing the hostname in the AWS instance is far better. I don't know the
details, but there is some ability to run a config script at startup time, you
could have that set the hostname (say something like 'function-count') and get
more value from the hostname

David Lang
Re: Controlling Hostname [ In reply to ]
Apologies if this is noise to the list, but I thought maybe someone else may find it interesting.
Change the hostname of your Amazon Linux instance - Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud

| |
Change the hostname of your Amazon Linux instance - Amazon Elastic Compu...

Set the hostname for your Amazon Linux instance using a dynamic DNS provider.