Mailing List Archive

omprog as non root user
Hi,

Our client is adamant that they do not want applications running as the
root user.

The rsyslogd process is not a problem because it comes as a daemon process
and is packaged as part of the OS install.

However, when they see the omprog program running, it's flagged as an issue.

Is there a simple way to run the omprog program as non-root? I tried using
the su command but something goes wrong with the stdin and the program
doesn't get the expected input. Also, when the rsyslogd is restarted after
a config change, the 'su' program is killed but the program isn't killed.

binary="su user1 -c /home/user1/bin/program.sh"

running with the following is good except that program.sh shows up as a
root owned process.
binary="/home/user1/bin/program.sh"

Thanks.
Re: omprog as non root user [ In reply to ]
Create a totally separate instance of rsyslog running as a non-root user. In this case, when the omprog application is called it executes as the same non-root user such that su is not necessary. Then simply have the root instance forward the applicable events to the standalone instance on the same localhost.

Regards,