Mailing List Archive

Rotating /var/log/messages from ryslog (without logrotate)
HI,

I know that rsyslog has a facility to rotate logs with a specific size
[0]. The installation I'm using from BuildRoot installs the default (Red
Hat) rsyslog.conf file which says, in part:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages

Is there any way to apply the rotation logic to /var/log/messages without
modifying this line of the default config file?

-derek

[0]
https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/tutorials/log_rotation_fix_size.html

--
Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
derek@ihtfp.com www.ihtfp.com

Re: Rotating /var/log/messages from ryslog (without logrotate) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 18 Feb 2022, Derek Atkins via rsyslog wrote:

> HI,
>
> I know that rsyslog has a facility to rotate logs with a specific size
> [0]. The installation I'm using from BuildRoot installs the default (Red
> Hat) rsyslog.conf file which says, in part:
>
> *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages
>
> Is there any way to apply the rotation logic to /var/log/messages without
> modifying this line of the default config file?

no, it's a different output module that does the size limited rotation.

David Lang