Mailing List Archive

Limit Rsyslog Debug output to a particular source file
Hi All,

I am trying to debug why rsyslog (v8.2012.0) is suddenly getting killed in
our Kubernetes cluster (running as daemonset pod). When I enable debugging
mode in rsyslog, it prints a lot of output. I am trying to limit rsyslog
Debug output to a source file (contrib/mmkubernetes/mmkubernetes.c) using
"FileTrace" but it doesn't seem to be working. How do I use that option or
are there any other ways to limit rsyslog debug output ?

Here is what I have tried so far,

To enable debugging in rsyslog, I have set following env vars
RSYSLOG_DEBUGLOG
RSYSLOG_DEBUG

From documentation
<https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/master/troubleshooting/debug.html>, I could
see that RSYSLOG_DEBUG supports "FileTrace" option which would limit
debugging output to some files. I tried setting FileTrace and/or
LogFuncFlow, but its not working

export RSYSLOG_DEBUGLOG="/tmp/logs"
export RSYSLOG_DEBUG="Debug FileTrace=vm.c NoStdOut"
/usr/sbin/rsyslogd -n

> *rsyslogd 8.2004.0.11. error: invalid debug option 'FileTrace=vm.c' -
> ignored*rsyslogd: parameters for built-in module builtin:omfwd already
> set - ignored [v8.2004.0.11. try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2220 ]

I tried help to see options it supports, surprisingly FileTrace isn't
supported.
export RSYSLOG_DEBUG="Debug help"

rsyslogd 8.2004.0.11. runtime debug support - help requested, rsyslog
> terminates
> environment variables:
> additional logfile: export RSYSLOG_DEBUGFILE="/path/to/file"
> to set: export RSYSLOG_DEBUG="cmd cmd cmd"
> Commands are (all case-insensitive):
> help (this list, terminates rsyslogd)
> NoLogTimestamp
> Nostdout
> OutputTidToStderr
> DebugOnDemand - enables debugging on USR1, but does not turn on output
> See debug.html in your doc set or https://www.rsyslog.com for details

I tried digging source code
<https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/blob/v8.2012.0/runtime/debug.c> - I
couldn't find any trace of FileTrace

Hence my Question is - Is FileTrace supported ? If yes, how to use it or
are there any other ways to limit Rsyslog Debug output to source file
(Ex: contrib/mmkubernetes/mmkubernetes.c)

Rajesh KSV
Re: Limit Rsyslog Debug output to a particular source file [ In reply to ]
Have a look here:

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/blob/master/tests/imfile-symlink.sh#L18

This is from the testbench and uses what you want.

HTH
Rainer

Re: Limit Rsyslog Debug output to a particular source file [ In reply to ]
Perfect! It works

global( debug.whitelist="on"
debug.files=["mmkubernetes.c"])

Thanks a lot.